Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 KRAG BRASS (Read 22705 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG BRASS
Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for identifying the likely source of Graf's .30-40 Brass.

U.S. Made in South Dakota - hats off to Graf's and Captec/Jamison!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #16 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
BM1455 wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 6:31pm:
Received my 200 today. . . They say Graf / 30-40 Krag on them. . .
I threw them into my Wilson case gauge and found that they were a little bit long in the shoulder.  Since you should run them through the resize dies anyways as the necks are not perfectly round due to packaging, this gives you an opportunity to bump the shoulder back into speck.  Contrast this to some old Winchester un-fired cases I have where they are quite a bit short in the case gauge right from the factory.  No way to bump those forward so you just fire form those when you shoot them.  So this stuff from Grafs should cause less stretching in the case head area than the Winchester or Remington brass when you fire it for the first time. . . So, maybe a good thing?  Less wear on that part of the case with the Graf cases?
Comments?

Since you ask for comments, I have to say this perhaps shows a misunderstanding of case-stretch dynamics. In brief, unless the shoulder is far enough forward to hold the base of the cartridge firmly against the bolt face, shoulder position is immaterial to stretch with a rimmed cartridge, since it is only any play (clearance) between bolt face, case rim, and barrel breech that will allow the case to stretch when its solid head moves back to the bolt while chamber pressure adheres the hollow case body to the chamber walls. Perhaps this explanation from Naramore will help -

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Same idea animated -

If the rifle has generous headspace (or case rims are abnormally thin) and we want to prevent stretch and eventual separation, we need some mechanism to hold the case head firmly against the bolt face before firing - or to prevent the case body from adhering to the chamber. See (You need to Login to view media files and links) for some ideas.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Earl Naramore and Julian Hatcher, names we do not often see these days.  That I recognized them just shows that I am old.

What is the significance of The Army of the United States?  Was that the National Guard?

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Since you ask for comments, I have to say this perhaps shows a misunderstanding of case-stretch dynamics. In brief, unless the shoulder is far enough forward to hold the base of the cartridge firmly against the bolt face, shoulder position is immaterial to stretch with a rimmed cartridge, since it is only any play (clearance) between bolt face, case rim, and barrel breech that will allow the case to stretch when its solid head moves back to the bolt while chamber pressure adheres the hollow case body to the chamber walls. Perhaps this explanation from Naramore will help -

Same idea animated -

(You need to Login to view media files and links) [/quote]

Thanks for the information.  So shoulder placement is not particularly important with a rimmed rifle case?  I would have thought that a lose shoulder would only amplify the problem of the case being pushed to the rear since fire forming the shoulder to the chamber is still essentially working brass forward.  A loser shoulder should still mean more brass moving to fill that void.

Edited after I thought about it a bit. ^   Smiley

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #19 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
BM1455 wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:38pm:
Thanks for the information.  So shoulder placement is not particularly important with a rimmed rifle case?  I would have thought that a lose shoulder would only amplify the problem of the case being pushed to the rear since fire forming the shoulder to the chamber is still essentially working brass forward.  A loser shoulder should still mean more brass moving to fill that void.

Edited after I thought about it a bit. ^   Smiley

What may be misleading your thinking is the idea that brass is moving forward. This is incorrect. The front end of the case simply expands radially (outward) to fill the chamber. The solid head then moves back until it is stopped by the bolt face. Nothing actually moves forward. Here's an example -

After the initial firing, if we avoid moving the shoulder back during re-sizing, the shoulder positions the case head firmly against the bolt face - just as it does with a rimless cartridge - and the rim becomes immaterial to stretching.

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
OK.  Thanks parashooter.  I appreciate the help. 
I have tried to reply to your information in this  threads about 10 times but my chrome browser keeps crashing.  I have a few more questions about this but I am giving up for now.  Tired of typing questions over and over again only to have the browser crash....

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I will be interested to hear how others who get this brass find it compares to the Winchester and Remington that we have had for a long time.  How much others are finding they change their pet loads to accommodate for the differences in the brass. 
I ran 50 cases through the FL dies today just to get some ready.  Bumped the necks back just a hair to the longest end of my Wilson gauge.  After taking some time to measure and observe I think the main difference between the gauge and my Lee dies and the cases that come from Grafs may just be the shape/angle of the cone of the shoulder? 

BTE:  Every bag of 50 came with an extra case.  So, I got 51 per bag.  Your mileage may vary.

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2016 at 10:41pm by BM1455 »  

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Got a phone call from Buffalo Arms while I was travelling on 12/22.  I had placed an order for 200 Krag Remington cases back in April that was backordered.  They said they now had Jamison/Captec cases in stock but they were more expensive than the Remington.  The Remingtons were .67 and the others were .84.  Told them to go ahead and ship them.  They said they would send a confirming email which I never got.  Just checked my account online and the order shows up as backordered-but with the new part number and the higher price.

I got a couple hundred cases from Graff but I plan to keep using my .303 Brits for the time being.  Got the pockets and flash holes just like I like them; and trimmed just like pretty maids all in a row.  Roll Eyes (Yeah you even have to trim the short  cases so they are all the same)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression Grafs was out of 30/40 brass. I ordered something else from them yesterday and before checking out I looked for the 30/40 brass. It was still in stock so I ordered 100 cases for meaness. I will neck one up to 35/40 and compare the water capacity to my new Remington brass I bought a few years ago. Let you know what I find in a couple of weeks.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 1:13am
Print Post  
BM1455 wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 2:57am:
BM1455 wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 6:31pm:
Received my 200 today.  Just a quick look at a few of the cases.
They say Graf / 30-40 Krag on them. 
They do not look like Remington or Winchester cases. 
I threw them into my Wilson case gauge and found that they were a little bit long in the shoulder.  Since you should run them through the resize dies anyways as the necks are not perfectly round due to packaging, this gives you an opportunity to bump the shoulder back into speck.  Contrast this to some old Winchester un-fired cases I have where they are quite a bit short in the case gauge right from the factory.  No way to bump those forward so you just fire form those when you shoot them.  So this stuff from Grafs should cause less stretching in the case head area than the Winchester or Remington brass when you fire it for the first time.  (I have noticed that my Remington fired brass gets a little distortion in this area at the first firing.  The Winchester brass does not show this as much but I have to think it is stretching there a bit too since it gauges a bit short.)  So, maybe a good thing?  Less wear on that part of the case with the Graf cases?
Comments?

Replying to my own post here.
A little more quick comparison of the Graf cases to Remington and Winchester cases I have here.  I weighed one of each.  I resized and bumped the shoulder on the Grafs back to where it should be and ran it through my Wilson gauge.  It was now fine. 
As for weights:  The Remington was twice fired and trimmed so it could be slightly lighter than it would have been new.  The Winchester was new and never fired.  All were re-sized and trimmed to re-trim length of 2.304" for equal comparison.
Remington = 158.2 grns.
Winchester = 172.3 grns.
Graf = 182.7 grns.

PRVI .303 blanks resized and trimmed to Krag max length weigh around 176.5gr.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I just took the time to compare some of the Graf's Brass.

#1 photo Headspace Graf's .058 to .061 to .063 Remington
SAAMI tolerance .064 to  .054
Measurements were made with this gauge:

#2 Photo     Case head cross section compared with old once fired Winchester case.  Winchester case is on the left, the Graf's case definitely has thicker walls at one point it was .039 compared to the Win .030

#3 photo
Shoulder length on optical comparator, unfired Remington on the left unfired Graf's on right. The Graf's is definitely longer.

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I just loaded up about 50 pieces of new Graf and Sons Krag brass this weekend to see how it worked. I ran it through a Lee full length sizing die and it chambers fairly easily in my one '92/96 rifle. It does appear that the base, while apparently in tolerance as indicated above, is slightly thicker than some of the other Winchester and Remington brass I have been using. I'll caveat that with the Remington and Winchester brass I use is pretty old and may be somewhat worn on the base from multiple uses. 

Stretch

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
My measurements and observations are just that. I have not loaded a case yet. Time will tell how these hold up and work, but right now I am thankful that someone listened to our requests for brass.
The Remington brass I measured is a couple of years old and from what is apparently the last batch of unprimed brass sold. It was a couple of thousands larger in rim thickness. The diameter of the brass just forward of the rim on the Graf brass is about .002 larger than new Remington brass. The Graf brass is right on the size specified by SAAMI.
Just looked up the head space tolerance and rim tolerance for 30/40s the rim tolerance is .010  and the headspace tolerance is .007. So with a minimum rim and maximum headspace the rim will have .017 real play, going the other way with a maximum rim and minimum headspace the rim will be metal on metal with no play. Amazing! Having the rim thickness near maximum on the brass gives you a little edge if you have a maximum or slightly over head space on your rifle.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:50am
Print Post  
What it all boils down to for me is that we now have a source of (seemingly) good quality brass that will hold up to the demands of multiple loadings.  Let's hope that this is profitable enough for Graf & Sons to continue offering it for many years to come!!!

IP Logged

Tanstafl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 5:03am
Print Post  
just ran an order for Krag brass at Buffalo Arms website....
-
went up to checkout and it still indicated "item in stock".
-
for what it's worth
-

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint