Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag NRA Sporter? (Read 2314 times)
Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag NRA Sporter?
Jan 29th, 2017 at 7:01am
Print Post  
This might be the wrong section to post this but maybe somebody can help.

Seems my dad liked shooting my 92/96 Krag rifle so much a few weeks ago he decided he wanted one. He really likes carbines but unfortunately an original Krag carbine was too pricey.

With that, dad bought an original NRA sporter that's in great shape but it's missing the rear sight. What sight did these carbines originally come with? I'd think Springfield would've just left the original 1898 rifle rear sight that was probably on it but I'm not sure.

Also, did these sporters retain the original hand guard after modification or was it discarded? This one is missing the hand guard so I wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stretch

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Krag NRA Sporter?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I understand there is conflicting information on the subject, but Brophy's section on the DCM Krags states,

"Only Model 1899 Carbine stocks, Model 1901 rear sights and handguards, and carbine stock fittings were used. Cut down rifle stocks were not used on DCM Krags."

"Unfortunately, no identifying mark was placed upon Krag rifles and carbines sold through the DCM to NRA members. The rifles which were cut down to carbine length at Benecia Arsenal, California are the most difficult to confirm. The barrels were cut to 22 inches and new Model 1903 Rifle front sights were installed. The stock, handguard, stock fittings, and sight were original carbine parts. . . The DCM carbine barrel muzzle is crowned, like original carbine barrels, and the front sight is expertly installed. The Model 1903 front sight fixed stud retaining pin was dressed down to the surface of the stud and was refinished and appears just the same as those on an '03. Kirk and Bannerman jobs were not well done and the pins frequently did not fit the hole and were not flush with the fixed stud."

If this information is accurate, it would seem that a stock with butt swivel, split band with swivel, and band retaining pin is not characteristic of the DCM carbines. As described by Brophy, there should be no butt swivel and a solid band retained by a band spring. It may be worth noting that the DCM carbine pictured in this section appears to have a rifle-style handguard, not the humped version used on many (most?) original carbines with the 1901 sight.

For an authoritative opinion, you could post some detail photos. Dick Hosmer just might stop by and take a look.

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Parashooter,

Thanks for the reply. I have read Brophy's book but, since it was borrowed from a friend, do not have it avaible for reference at this time.

After reading through Brophy's description, I think the "carbine" in question may actually be a Bannerman. The front sight retaining stud is not flush and the stock appears to be a cut down rifle stock with characteristic band and butt swivel. It does however have a very nice crown on the muzzle and it's possible the front sight stud may not be tight and therefore not flush.

I'm not really smart on carbines but didn't 1899 carbines have rifle style butt swivels? The stock on this carbine does have a rifle butt swivel and there is a hole through the fore end (farther forward than the lower band pin would be) that almost appears to be a band spring hole but the groove on the right side of the stock was not cut. I doubt it's an actual 1899 carbine stock but the hole is odd.

Do you have a picture of a correct 1899 carbine stock fore end?

Stretch

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Stretch32 wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:13am:
. . .didn't 1899 carbines have rifle style butt swivels? . . .

Not as originally issued - though it seems a few may have been so altered in service (but they were authentic carbines fitted with swivels, not cut-down rifles).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint