Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Unserialized Krag Sporter (Read 6844 times)
wellfedirishman
KCA Forum Member

Newbie Krag Enthusiast!

Unserialized Krag Sporter
Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Hi Folks, a newbie here although I am active on many other shooting/casting forums.

I just picked up a sporterized Krag.  The interesting thing is that receiver appears unserialized, and there is no sign that it ever had a serial to begin with (no sign of a scrubbed serial, etc.)

The barrel is also not drilled/tapped for sights.  It currently wears a peep receiver sight (Rice type?).

Anyone know about Krags like this that are unserialized?  I have searched extensively on Google and the only reference I found to one was on this site back in 2010, with little information:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

wellfedirishman
KCA Forum Member

Newbie Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Unserialized Krag Sporter
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Here's a pic of the other side.  It is an 1896 model.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 4:50am
Print Post  
If it's a model 96, it's had some extensive work done.  The metal channel that the bolt handle passes through on 92s and 96s appears to be gone.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
There were receivers that seem to have been smuggled out of the armory by workers before they were serial numbered.  Then guys would put a gun together out of parts.  These were called "lunchbox guns".  It seems yours may have started as a lunchbox gun.  Then possibly sporterized even more.  Check that area on the receiver where the serial number should be to see if it has been flattened out or shows other signs of someone grinding off the serial number.  Sometimes the stamping of the numbers was quite light, which made it fairly easy to grind off the serial number.

Best,
Tom

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I would be interested in seeing pictures of the underside and right rear side of the receiver where the bolt handle "support" should be

IP Logged

wellfedirishman
KCA Forum Member

Newbie Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Thanks folks for the comments.  When I get the rifle (after the CA mandatory wait period  Angry ) I will post more pics.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
It appears to me that 'wellfedirishman' has a model 1896 Krag receiver that was extensively 're-contoured'.

The 'flange', that partially surrounds the bolt recess of a model 1896 receiver, is gone. Also, the edge of the front face of the receiver has been beveled.

My hunch is that the serial number was removed in reshaping and refinishing the receiver.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Now that makes perfect sense Chuck!  Thanks for point that out... as I was having trouble with the whole "No Serial Number" thing.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:04am
Print Post  
The receiver appears a bit low where the hold open pin is, doesn't it?  And the bolt sleeve is a bit high compared to what I see on mine.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Just the serial number gone with no damage to other stampings makes me doubtful of that theory though.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
The 'Whitened' markings look a bit 'worn-down' to me.

The OP's picture is not well focused. The white paint is distracting and masks detail.

Better lighting and a sharper focused picture might be more revealing.

Just my humble opinion, but, I look first for a simple solution for lack of serial number. (removed?)

Accurately measuring widths at rear of receiver with micrometer or caliper and comparing results with another model 1896 receiver would probably tell all.

IP Logged

wellfedirishman
KCA Forum Member

Newbie Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Lots more pics now that I have it in hand, all around the receiver and action and barrel.

I have felt carefully on the left side receiver where the writing is and feel no evidence of wear or difference in level or anything that indicates removal of metal.

Your all input is appreciated.  See pics in directory below.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Your pictures confirm this Krag's metal has been considerably polished, altered, and refinished.

Actually the receiver markings and "P" marking on barrel are rather faint and indicate metal was removed.

The magazine-gate hinge pin is missing its small 'plate' that normally covers the carrier-arm cam and spring-tip. ('P' in the sketch).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
'wellfedirishman' - On close scrutiny of your photos, I think your action might be marked "model 1898" and is just faint from very heavy polishing and removal of metal.

Your magazine-gate appears to be a model 1896 gate. Your bolt is a model 1898 bolt. I believe, your side-plate appears to be a 'late-type' model 1898 plate. (The upper-rear corner is beveled differently than earlier plates).

The bolt-recess area, of your receiver's body, appears way too clean and sharp for an 1896 'flange' to have been removed.

FWIW - As 'issued', model 1898 side-plates have a thicker tenon or 'lip' at the front edge, (maximum thickness of approximately .155", as opposed to, .133" thickness of tenon on model 1896 side-plate). A correct model 1898 side-plate will not fit or insert into the machined cavity of an 1896 receiver.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:06pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Some 'Side-Plate' photos:

1. 1896 Side-Plate (top) contrasted with final type of 1898 Side-Plate (bottom). Notice bevel at upper rear corner. (Earlier 1898 Side-Plates have a bevel similar to 1896 Plate).

2. 1896 Side-Plate tenon is .133" thick, as opposed to, .155" thickness setting of vernier-caliper.

3. Front tenon-edge .133" of 1896 Side-Plate (left) contrasted with .155" tenon of late-type of 1898 Side-Plate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint