Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 New Member, New (to me) Krag. (Read 5586 times)
AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Member, New (to me) Krag.
Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Hello,

New member here from Jacksonville Florida.  I travel for my job quite a bit, which gives me the chance to check out gun stores.

I found and purchased this one during my current trip to Maine.  I believe that it is correct, but defer to your opinions.

Some pictures:

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member, New (to me) Krag.
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:11am
Print Post  
A few more pictures

I do have a few questions.

The stock appears to have some sort of varnish on it.  If that isn't original, would an oil rubbed finish of raw linseed oil be appropriate?

What kind of finish was normally found on the buttplate?  My first impression of this one was that it was in the white.

I have brass, bullets, a 1903 bayonet, cleaning rods, oiler, and repro sling on the way.  Were there any other tools or accessories that were appropriate for a 1903 Krag?

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Welcome! Im far from an expert, but that sure looks like a good deal at 700. Love the dark stock and patina. How's the bore?

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Thanks!

I actually talked them down a little from the $700. Smiley

The bore looks a little frosty, but there are clear lands and grooves.  Once I get it back home, I'll give the barrel a good soak in Hoppes and see how it turns out.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:44am
Print Post  
'AFJuvat' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You picked up a nice model 1898 Krag rifle in your travels. Your rifle, #441830, was built around February or March, 1903.

There is a nice agreement with your rifle's likely production period and the Stock, with its 1903 'cartouche'.

IMHO - All the parts I see in your photos look believable and correct.

You have the model 1902 rear-sight which would be correct in 1903. This sight is very similar to the sight used on the very first, "Rod-Bayonet", 1903 Springfield rifles.

There is some belief that, when the 1903 Springfield rifles were changed to a different sight in 1905, the Krags used by the U.S. Army tended to be fitted with model 1901 sights.

Krags with model 1902 sights may have gone to National Guard units.

The wood finish on the Krag was raw linseed oil.

It does appear some type of varnish has been put on your stock. Some of that finish seems to appear on some of your metal parts.

FWIW - If it were my Krag, I would start with Mineral Spirits on a flannel rag and wipe the wood and metal to see if it dissolves the varnish and cleans the wood and metal.

If that cleans off the varnish, I would then treat the wood with a 50/50 mix of turpentine and linseed, oil rubbed in by hand.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:44am:
**snip**

Krags with model 1902 sights may have gone to National Guard units.

The wood finish on the Krag was raw linseed oil.

It does appear some type of varnish has been put on your stock. Some of that finish seems to appear on some of your metal parts.

FWIW - If it were my Krag, I would start with Mineral Spirits on a flannel rag and wipe the wood and metal to see if it dissolves the varnish and cleans the wood and metal.

If that cleans off the varnish, I would then treat the wood with a 50/50 mix of turpentine and linseed, oil rubbed in by hand.

According to the SRS, these are the ones closest to mine by serial number

440576 98R 05 17 29 NEW CUMBERLAND GRD (DESTROYED)
442128 98R 05 17 29 NEW CUMBERLAND GRD (DESTROYED)
443708 98R 05 17 29 NEW CUMBERLAND GRD (DESTROYED)

Once I get it home, I will clean it up and see if I can get the varnish off of the stock.  When redoing a stock, I normally start with Raw linseed and turpentine, gradually working to 100% linseed oil.

How does the buttplate look?   It seems to me that it was either sanded or stripped.  I do my own rust bluing, if that was the correct finish for that part.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Standard Finishes and Treatment Applied to U. S. Model 1898 Service Rifle at End of Production:

Buttplate cap - case-hardened, like Safety lock, Side-plate, Gate.

Buttplate - 'Browned' (period arsenal term for blued), like Barrel.

IMHO - Krag Butt Plate finish must have been rather thin. They commonly have lightened up with age and use. I think it best to leave them that way. They have developed a nice look, character, and patina.

You have a nice Krag. Don't mess it up by refinishing metal or sanding the stock.

I don't know what your experience is with antique guns and preserving originality for nice presentation.

A lot of people have turned $800 to $1,000 Krag rifles into $400 guns.

BTW - Your stock will likely lighten up in color, if the 'varnish' is removed. '1903' is a bit late, but, there is a chance it is an Italian Walnut stock and hand-guard.

The Italian stocks are lighter and yellower than American Black Walnut ones. However, most of the Italian stocks, I have seen, have 1899, 1900, and 1901 'cartouche' dates, IIRC.

Apparently, some military units stained or darkened their Italian stocks to better fit in with the bulk of their rifles.

Caution - When you take your Krag apart, the 'varnish' may have 'glued' some of the metal to the wood.

To remove the hand-guard: remove the stock and rear-sight first, then slide the hand-guard up the tapered barrel, where it can easily be taken off.

The front-sight blade, if left in place, will prevent the front barrel-band from being taken completely off the barrel. The stock can be taken off with the front band just pushed forward.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
BTW - 'The New Cumberland Guard' appears to be the Depot Staff, who were destroying obsolete military equipment, in 1929.

Your Krag, #441830, falls between 441763 and 441844, which were issue 10/20/1917 to Co. "C", 18th U.S. Engineers, guarding French Railways with the AEF.
(This SRS data is in Frank Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition).

Although the numbers are close, your rifle not being listed, pretty much guarantees it was not issued to the 18th Engineers.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Standard Finishes and Treatment Applied to U. S. Model 1898 Service Rifle at End of Production:

Buttplate cap - case-hardened, like Safety lock, Side-plate, Gate.

Buttplate - 'Browned' (period arsenal term for blued), like Barrel.

IMHO - Krag Butt Plate finish must have been rather thin. They commonly have lightened up with age and use. I think it best to leave them that way. They have developed a nice look, character, and patina.

You have a nice Krag. Don't mess it up by refinishing metal or sanding the stock.

I don't know what your experience is with antique guns and preserving originality for nice presentation.

A lot of people have turned $800 to $1,000 Krag rifles into $400 guns.

BTW - Your stock will likely lighten up in color, if the 'varnish' is removed. '1903' is a bit late, but, there is a chance it is an Italian Walnut stock and hand-guard.

The Italian stocks are lighter and yellower than American Black Walnut ones. However, most of the Italian stocks, I have seen, have 1899, 1900, and 1901 'cartouche' dates, IIRC.

Apparently, some military units stained or darkened their Italian stocks to better fit in with the bulk of their rifles.

Caution - When you take your Krag apart, the 'varnish' may have 'glued' some of the metal to the wood.

To remove the hand-guard: remove the stock and rear-sight first, then slide the hand-guard up the tapered barrel, where it can easily be taken off.

The front-sight blade, if left in place, will prevent the front barrel-band from being taken completely off the barrel. The stock can be taken off with the front band just pushed forward.

Thanks for the tips!

No sandpaper will be used on the stock.   Smiley  I've passed on a few 1903s and other rifles where the previous owner had gone crazy with the sandpaper.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Finished the cleanup on it.

Cleaned all the metal surfaces with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol.
Removed the varnish from the stock and rubbed in several coats of raw linseed oil thinned a bit with turpentine.

No sandpaper was used during the cleaning of this rifle.  Smiley

Picked up a 1903 dated bayonet and a reproduction sling from World War Supply.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
The cartouche really cleaned up nicely.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Looks like a real winner there!  Now all ya gotta do is sight 'er in for 200 yards and get up to Perry for the Roosevelt Match!  Sweet Krag!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle good looking clean up. Wood grain appears to be American black walnut.

I bet you had fun.

Now, Fall In!

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 3:22pm:
Looks like a real winner there!  Now all ya gotta do is sight 'er in for 200 yards and get up to Perry for the Roosevelt Match!  Sweet Krag!!!

+1 for the RT match at Perry.  Nice find at a good price.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Looking at the photo above, you'll see a young Butlersrangers - third from the right, eyeing the camera in anticipation of going to work with his Krag!!! 

The Yanks Are Comin'!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint