Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1892 Krag (Read 2813 times)
coalgeo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1892 Krag
Mar 18th, 2017 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
A friend picked up an 1892 Krag, serial 17799.  He posted it on Milsurps and members there thought it was substantially original, less the 1898 bolt and 1896 sight.  The sight’s easy, but my book on Krags by Brophy indicates that there are several variants of bolts used with the 1892, with differences in the safety, bolt sleeve, bolt body guide rib and firing pin.  Would any of the  members here be able to clarify what’s needed?  Thanks for any help.

He posted photographs (too large for this site) on the Milsurps forum. 

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1892 Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:52am
Print Post  
I posted this on milsurps:  "I have a few parts lying around that'd go well with it. An early cutoff and an early boltsleeve. The boltsleeve has the long barrel, stud on the side of the barrel that fits the widerib model 92 bolt, pinned safety, grasping grooves. Might have a short firing pin spring too. That's required with the early bolt sleeve because of the longer barrel. I only have one wide rib bolt, and it's staying the way it is. You'd still need an original extractor and extractor screw."

I live about 100mi from you, on SR78.   I sometimes shoot my Krags at Zanesville Rifle Club, north of McConnelsville.

Now that I took a look at Poyer, seems neither of my parts would be right for that serial # rifle.  They'd already gone to the coil spring cutoff and done away with the stud on the barrel of the bolt sleeve, and the grasping grooves.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 3:46am
Print Post  
I suggested on Milsurps that 'GeorgeG' post on the KCA Forum.

'coalgeo' - Welcome to both of you!

I have taken the liberty of downsizing George's pictures and posting them here.

His model 1892 Krag, #17799, looked pretty righteous to me, except for the model 1898 bolt.

I think the model 1896 rear-sight and later magazine cut-off lever were updates done in the service.

I advised him to contact 'movieman630' and inquire about a late type of model 1892 bolt.

Nice rifle!
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:13pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 3:48am
Print Post  
More pictures:

IP Logged

coalgeo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers - thank you for that - my software could not get some of them down to an acceptable size. 

Gentlemen – the bolt is pretty confusing.  George has Poyers book which states that it should have the parts mentioned by Madsenshooter.  My book by Col. Brophy indicates that the changes  to the guide rib and sleeve configuration were made between June 15 and June 29, 1895.  His assumption (which may be wrong) is that the very specific dates were when the changes were ordered, and not necessarily implemented.  If  Krags are like later U.S. arms, could there have been be a several month delay between ordered and implemented?  This would make the earlier parts right for a rifle thought to be made in August 1895. 

Thanks

Thank you guys for responding to this. 

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
My 92/96 #22018 also an 1895 made rifle has the full guide rib bolt, but 96 bolt sleeve.  Like your friends, it has no hold open notch.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Some very learned and interesting observations, regarding this model 1892 Krag, were posted on the Military Surplus Collectors Forum by '5MadFarmers'.

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Re: 1892 Krag Bolt Body
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Hi,

I might have an extra M1892 US Krag bolt body.  I am out of town but should be back next week.  Are you going to the Wataburger Tulsa gunshow next week?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint