Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Old Family Deer Rifle (Read 2103 times)
OldKrag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Old Family Deer Rifle
Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  I've inherited a Model 1898 and before you look at the pictures, it's bad.  Really bad.  This thing will never shoot again without enough repair work to destroy its history.  It is now a family heirloom, not a functioning firearm.

It belonged to my wife's great great grandfather, or so the story goes.  It is believed to have been issued to him in the Army and then he purchased it, or something like that.  History gets more than a little foggy at this point.  I believe that it was a rifle, that was later cut down, and modified for use as a deer rifle.  Unfortunately the gun has not been treated well over the years.  I'm afraid the barrel doesn't have pock marks, it has potholes.

The original stock has been modified, although I don't think it was replaced.  The original sights have been removed and replaced with a Marble 46R front sight (a rifle model, not the 46C for carbines) and a Pacific rear peep sight.  You'll notice the lovely hardware store screw in the rear sight which I assume was added by my wife's grandfather (you had to know him to understand).  The receiver was obviously tapped for a scope mount at some point.  The cartouche on the side of the stock is gone, other than that I can make out that the last number is a 9, so I assume it once said 1899.

What I'm curious about is the serial number.  4167 is very clearly visible.  Now, there is a screw hole in the receiver right in front of the serial number, so a number could have been driven out by the drill bit.  But it really doesn't look like it.  It looks like 4167 might be all it has.  Then again the serial number does not match the font for the rest of the markings.  What do you think?  Was this added afterwards?  Is 4167 really the serial number for this gun?  Perhaps the gunsmith damaged the markings while installing the scope and decided to redo the number?  I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

IP Logged

OldKrag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Old Family Deer Rifle
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  
A few more pictures for you.

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Suggest you clean it thoroughly, and examine the bore.  If the lands are still good and pitting is mostly in the grooves you may be surprised at how accurate it still is.  My 1894 sporter is heavily pitted from chamber to muzzle but still shoots well.  Definitely cut down as the front sight is from an 03 Springfield, a common practice when these were converted to sporters.  The Pacific rear is a definite plus for shooting.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
As Rich said, clean it up and give the bore a really good scrubbing.  You may be surprised.  It could prove to be a fun and accurate shooter!

Looks like a Marbles sight blade in a 1903 Springfield front sight base.  The 1903 base is common among cutoff sporters.   The model clearly says 1898, so the S/N is missing two digits where that hole is drilled and tapped.

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint