Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
arms list ad for "roughriders" krag carbine (Read 2172 times)
kragy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

arms list ad for "roughriders" krag carbine
Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
This ad appeared on armslist in 2012 would anyone have an opinion on it's authenticity? Thank You, Mark This has been in my family for generations, brought up all the way from Texas originally. This was the LAST Saddle Ring Cabine EVER MADE by the US Military, and only have of the 60K models have the saddle ring. From the research I've done, This Rifle definitely saw action in both the Cuban Revolt and the Philippine Insurrection. Also, according to Springfield Armory Research (I have the doc umentation) the rough riders that requested (after the war) to buy back their Krag Carbines ran From Serial Numbers
23000 - 38000, with a few of the reservists who were in the unit but did not see action being issued later models in the last 60,000 serials produced. This Model is the MOST RARE of all the Krags, Especially given its serial number and the fact that it has the original Saddle Ring. Also, indicative of the Earliest releases of this Model, they were not roll-marked "Model 1896", just "1896 Springfield Armory" because they had literally rushed to get these out to Roosevelt under his political pressure. While Springfield has no ABSOLUTE proof of serial number issuance, except for those soldiers (some 100 or so) who wrote in requesting their specific (by serial number) rifle to buy after the war, this rifle falls right in the middle of the range of serial numbers issued to The 1st Us Volunteer Cavalry, 3rd US Cavalry, and the 10th US Cavalry........The Units Present and Engaged in action at the Battle of San Juan Hill.
Asking $3500 or best offer.....will also accept partial trade, specifically looking for an M1A and $2000 would take this home.
This rifle, its bore, furniture, and metal finish is in as pristine condition as can be expected for a rifle that saw action in TWO major wars, and is over 110 years old. It is chambered in .30-40 Krag or .30 US, the FIRST standardized Smokeless Powder US Military Cartridge (10 Rounds Available with Rifle for Display or shooting) and is a true part of both my Families, AND The History of the Early American West, The Us Military, The ROugh Riders, and a True American Hero, Theodore Roosevelt. As much as I hate to, a Family Emergency Forces me to offer this for sale

IP Logged

kragy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: arms list ad for "roughriders" krag carbine
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
No one with any opinion whether the ad is ligit or b.s.? Seems if it was b.s. the guy sure went to some length to fool people! That said guilty till proven innocent! Has anyone seen similar types of ads, know of rip offs taking place?

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2018 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Based on sellers "research" with no actual serial number documentation it is a stretch. While it is likely it is not certain when it "falls in the range" To pay a premium based on chance and family handed down history is unwise. Buy the gun not the story!! For example, the 1896 Krag carbine (the model being advertised) was NOT "the LAST Saddle Ring Carbine EVER MADE by the US Military" !

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2018 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
The ad is poorly written gibberish, by a very ignorant person, whether intentionally designed to confuse or not. I'd get the exact serial number and check it against SRS - if no hit, proceed accordingly. I'm guessing it doesn't hit, else he'd have trumpeted it to the high heavens. The gun MAY be just fine, but I'd pay almost no attention to the story.

IP Logged

kragy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Thank You Guys, better safe then sorry....buyer beware!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I did not wish to devote too much energy to analyzing "Phineas T. Blarney's" sales pitch.

U.S. model 1898 carbines (approx. 5,000) came after the model 1896 carbine and still had 'sling-bars & rings'. ('Saddle-Ring' is not the correct term).

Troop "G" of The 1st. U.S. Vol. Cavalry was engaged dismounted at Kettle Hill and San Juan Heights. Some of these troopers had carbines in the 60K and 70K range. (Contrary to claims in the ad).

From experience, I believe, I recognize this heavy handed "author" or at least his type & hype.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 7:02pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint