Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Rough Rider carbine sold (Read 2103 times)
olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rough Rider carbine sold
Apr 29th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Skinner, Inc auction on the 27th apparently sold an 1895 Krag Carbine for 30750 plus buyer's premium.  I didn't see the specific premium amount for this sale, but other houses usually charge i the neighborhood of 25%.  Carbine was attributed to Alvin C. Ash and looked to be all complete and correct.  Ash was from New Mexico and the condition looked consistent with a lot time in the sun - no finish and well used - but, to me, it looked wonderful.

IP Logged

kragy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Rough Rider carbine sold
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Great info! Seems the investment in springfield research paid off handsomely in this instance.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know the original source for the information on the approximately 193 "Rough Rider" carbines attributed by serial number to specific men (and their Troop)?

With almost 1,000 men in the "Rough Riders", only about 1/5th of the Arms (carbines) are so identified.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2018 at 5:17pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I'd contact Wayne Gagner at SRS/MAC. If anyone alive would know, I'd guess he would. It's the missing 4/5s that keeps people looking.

IP Logged

kragy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
FOR WHAT IT"S WORTH.....the springfield research is based on the 100 or so "roughriders" who asked to buy their rifles after the war. They asked for them by serial# and a record was kept of those #'s which ranged from 23000 to 38000 The reserves in those outfits (those who did not fight in the battle) were issued serial#'s above 60000. No other records are available for what serial#'s the "roughriders" had. The outfits that were present on san juan or as the americans called it kettle hill were the 1st, 3rd, 10th cal. Corrections are very welcome.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint