25 Magazine Rifle (Read 11495 times)
Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Magazine Rifle
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Call me slow. As we say here in Maine "wicked slow". Is this thread about the existence of a specific model of Krag called a "Magazine Rifle", no more, no less? If so, why the reluctance to accept it? If that is not what this thread is about stop reading here.

I totally get the fact that there are a pile of Krags with the words "Magazine Rifle" appended to the model, that has been clearly shown but that only obfuscates the fact that, tucked in there, between the 1892 and the 1896 is a rifle that is termed a "Magazine Rifle", no more, no less just "Magazine Rifle".

If someone digs into the pyramids or a tomb and finds a hitherto unknown gem or artifact we all rejoice, right?

Am I the only one that has gone over to Joe's site and seen the evidence of the "Magazine Rifle"? It appears irrefutable to me.

Seems to me like someone has dug into the tomb and found a pretty cool artifact and we need to update our database.

Those transitional rifles were indeed transitional rifles and by god, they had a model designation and it was "Magazine Rifle".

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Joe is, hands down, one of the very finest researchers, and thinkers, that I have ever run across, and, he may well be technically "right" on this one - but, if so, it is an awkward truth, which does not mesh with their long-standing method of nomenclature, and is therefore not (to MY mind) a "logical" answer. That said, I've no desire to litigate it further. I guess I am really lucky in that, serendipitously, I seem to own one (20197) so, I do not need to work myself into a frenzy looking.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Is a U.S. .30 cal. (Krag-Jorgensen) carbine marked simply "1895 Springfield Armory", plus serial number, or marked simply "1896 Springfield Armory", plus serial number, a U.S. model 1896 carbine or just a "magazine carbine"?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #18 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Please don't start that stuff all over again!  [GRIN]  It is whatever you want to call it. It is a carbine, and it does have a magazine, so, there you go! At least there is (rationally speaking) no earlier carbine to describe it as being different than, only successors. Stocks are all thin wrist but have two patterns of rod-holes. Extractor is different, gas hole location is different, etc. For a long time it was described as a Model 1896 Carbine (1895 variant). That still works for me. Don't recall what Joe called them, but I don't think it was "Magazine Carbine".

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
If it is not accompanied in official records (not a magazine article or a book) by a year of manufacture or a model number then it is a "magazine rifle". the only place so far that this has  been found is between US Magazine Rifle Model 1892 and US Magazine rifle Model 1896. If you don't like it then find SOLID evidence to disprove it or suck it up and live with it.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 5th, 2018 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Well.........I don't even know what the debate is anymore, or if there ever was one. But I'm trying to catch up with the rest of you guys now that I finally own a Krag (or magazine rifle  Cheesy) in military configuration. It doesn't make me an expert just to own one. But I like to do some of my own research. If I'm boring any of you with some of my posts, let me know. Just because some of this stuff is new to me it may not be to the rest. I enjoy learning from you guys all the same.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2018 at 3:57am
Print Post  
I seem to have played a role in irritating three individuals, Mark, Ned, and Dick, who I like, enjoy their contributions, and have no desire to irritate or piss off.

I am a student of the U.S. Krag-Jorgensen magazine rifle and carbine and I am trying to learn more everyday.

I don't have any of the early stuff. I am trying to get a better grasp of changes and evolution. Nomenclature is tricky and apparently has been a hot button at times. (I have not been involved in 'earlier' discussions or arguments on this subject).

I started this thread 'Re: Magazine Rifle' with good intentions. I wanted to better understand the transition in U.S. rifles prior to the model 1896. I wanted to better understand rifles "updated" to model 1896 features.
I asked the question about the nomenclature for earlier carbines as an honest inquiry.

I am truly sorry if I have offended someone or have been dense.

Knute's mention of the "Report of the Secretary of War ..... 1895" has been helpful to me.

FWIW - How (Krag) rifles and carbines are labeled in the 1895 Report is varied:

MAGAZINE RIFLE AND CARBINE, CALIBER .30
The magazine rifle, model 1892
Magazine carbine, caliber .30
improved rifle

The 1895 report, (Report of action taken year ended June 30, 1895), lists and describes fifteen minor changes in the rifle. Also mentioned is a 16th change, replacing the long wiping rod with one in three sections. (At the time of the report, only the first four changes had been made in rifles issued).

Also, a description of earliest carbines.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2018 at 5:25am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 5th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Not offended or irritated, more weary of the direction (implied or intentional) of "I don't like it so lets change it" with no information or proof to dispute what has recently been deciphered. Open discussion is an important way to obtain and share information and I have no desire to cease it here. However this thread seemed to "beating a dead horse". Chuck you seem to have a knack for digging things up (cool old pictures) with computer skills (that allude me) thus my statement about finding solid evidence.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
We all have things to learn from these discussions. I recall (a little foggy now though) a dispute a number of years ago between Bill Mook and other Krag collectors, Scott Duff for one at the Baltimore show about blueing of early bayonet blades. There it is in the 1895 report:
"(4) The blueing of parts of the bayonet discontinued, as the heat of the niter bath was found to injure the temper of the blade"
Good solid information many thanks

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - May 5th, 2018 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers! I am not pissed off in the least. Seriously! I am grateful for all the help I have received here.  I enjoy you all.

I am here to learn all I can. I freely admit that I am a leach, sucking off the work of others. For me data leads where data leads.

Someone has done the work, applied logic and sifted their way through conflicting information uncovering a hitherto un-recognized model. Resistance is futile. The truth outs. Why, as a community, would we not say thanks for all the work and enjoy the new knowledge. I am simply baffled at the resistance to acknowledging  the discovery of the new model. Why?

It bears repeating: I fully acknowledge I am a blood sucker sucking away knowledge from those more informed than I am. Maybe that puts me at an advantage since I have no ideas of my own to hang onto.

It also bears repeating that I am NOT pissed off, just a rider on the bus.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Appears all is well, great! I have another document to share. Perhaps "butlersrangers" can use his superior computer skills (mine are rudimentary) and post some info from the following. Don't mean to put you on the spot and forgive me if I have. It mentions the changes of Model 1892 rifles on hand at the armory with Model 1896 upgrades where practicable. Again, it is from Google Books and is free in its entirety:
Annual Reports of the War Department for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1897. Report of the Chief of Ordnance. Washington: Government Printing Office. 1897.
If anybody here views this document there is an index at the very end that can take you to the pages of interest with a click.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #26 - May 5th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Nor am I pissed off, in the least. Have no idea where that thought came from. I enjoy ALL such comment.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - May 5th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I wish to thank 'Knute1' for locating and mentioning the "1895 Report" as being viewable online.

IMHO - Some possible conclusions from the material in the 1895 Report:

By June 30, 1895, 14,491 new magazine rifles had been manufactured. Some of these rifles had been issued, (to the Engineer Battalion, and all the U.S. Infantry and Artillery Regiments).

The jealous Cavalry were waiting.

The rifles were, likely considered, "U.S. magazine rifle, model 1892", with up to four minor changes (involving a change to the safety lever and its pin location, magazine cut-off lever construction, change to a straight ejector pin, and discontinuing the 'bluing' of parts of the bayonet). Minor stuff that had little impact on interchangeability.

Twelve more changes had been decided upon and "were to be gradually introduced". These were regarded "improvements" to correct flaws and weaknesses. (At some point in the change process, the improved rifles are best called "Magazine Rifles". Some changes would become pretty significant and might compromise interchangeability).

A Magazine Carbine, Caliber .30, was accepted and about to be manufactured. (This would be a good logical term or nomenclature for carbines made prior to the "U.S. model 1896" marking).

(Significantly, in the "decided changes", there is no mention of the bolt 'hold open' pin and receiver 'notch' that would be part of the future U.S. model 1896, magazine rifle. Also, 'change #10', reversing the function of the magazine cut-off lever, would not take place for years)!
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2018 at 5:20pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - May 5th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
As there appears to be some interest in these "reports", I am attempting to find ordnance reports from 1892 to 1903 and have found some, but a few missing years. Still trying, though. When I accumulate as much as possible I'll post with the web link for each year. I have already scanned a few. Some reports were still comparing which rifle was better, the Trapdoor or Magazine rifle even during the Spanish American War. The report from 1901 already discussed the development of the Krag replacement. The report makes is look like the new rifle would be based on the existing rifle with Mauser like changes, something of the sort.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #29 - May 5th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
That would be great! If you can make the information "postable" I will start a view only thread for the information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint