Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 My first krag rifle (Read 8472 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My first krag rifle
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Hello: Thanks for the info on the sling. I do plan on shooting my new find. I will purchase a repo sling. The original has some small cracks on it. What should I put on it during storage? Also the full serial no. Is 143581. Do you know where I could check it out?
                Thanks everyone, KC

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Preserving the original leather sling is a great idea because the old dry leather will continue to crack and get damaged if you neglect it. Using a repro sling is great on a Krag but having an original sling on a collectible piece is even better.

There are many kinds of leather treatment waxes and balms available. My favorite (certainly not the only one) that I have used for years on leather boots, shoes, holsters, belts and slings is "Sno-Seal". It has beeswax and  other preservatives in it that soak into dry leather well and recondition it to look great. Nothing will heal a deep crack but something like this treatment will fill smaller ones and provide a moisture and lubricant that will keep it from further damage.

Look around and find what might work for you. The leather looks so nice when you recondition it. Use it liberally and let it soak in a few days before wiping the excess off. It works really well.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
If you intend on shooting in CMP Vintage or Roosevelt Matches, Turner Slings are the way to go!  I have a few of them and they are great, and manufactured on the actually equipment from Rock Island that the originals were made on.  Absolutely preserve that original sling though.  Then, you can put the original on for display purposes and the repro for matches.

Someone else will need to check SRS on your serial number.  If you get a hit... count yourself lucky!

If you're interested in Camp Perry and need the info, let me know.  The Roosevelt Match is for Krags and early 1903s only, and it's a blast!  Also, I host a dinner the night before for Krag shooters.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My first Krag rifle.
Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
While we wait for one of our members to check the serial number, it is nice to see that your 1898 was actually made in the last few months of 1898 and is therefore an true antique for legal minds.
It matches, too, the cartouche date and makes the 1896 rear sight and handguard also correct for the date of manufacture.  Overall, it looks like you got a good piece for your efforts.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for your info. I look forward to shooting my "new" krag. I don't think I am ready for any official matches yet. Maybe someday.
         Thanks again

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
'King carp' - Your original Krag Sling was mainly a 'carry-strap' and not really a shooting aid.

The later 1907 Sling 'psteinmayer' suggests was designed to be an aid in the prone and sitting positions.

It would be interesting to see a close-up picture of your front sight protector. It may be an O'Hare or other 'custom' protector/muzzle cover that was favored by target shooters. These devices are rare and expensive.

BTW - The letters in your 1898-dated stock 'cartouche' are J.S.A., for Joseph Sumner Adams, Asst. Foreman - Assembly Room, Springfield Armory.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Thanks. I am learning a lot about my krag thanks to all of your collective knowledge. I appreciate everyone's input.here is a pic of the sight protector that came with the rifle.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Here is a pic. Of the serial no. It would be great if there is any info out there on this particular rifle. The bore checked out at .307 and .300. My old 180 gr. Ohaus mold should work out for reloads I hope! It is a loverin style that works well in my 1903A3.
       Thanks again, KC

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 1:58am
Print Post  
'King carp' - Your brass muzzle-cover/front-sight protector is the Standard Issue one for the U.S. Krag rifle. It was adopted and manufactured at Springfield Armory in the early 1900's. This device sells normally for around $65.

Your first posted photo was a bit fuzzy and fooled me. It looked like one of the private commercial covers used by some competitive shooters back in the early 1900's.

Your Sling, Butt-Trap - Sectioned Cleaning Rod, and muzzle-cover, are nice accessories, that easily add $250 to the value of your Krag.

FWIW - If you need an original Krag Oiler (for the butt-trap), Grandpa's Gun Parts has them for $20.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Your brass sight protector is the "common" rifle muzzle cap that is highly desirable and, when you can actually find one, sells for around $70 or more. I have worked hard to find and buy a few of these over the years for my Krags. Yours has a beautiful patina which authenticates it as original. There are reproduction muzzle caps being sold which are bright yellow and look horrible but, if you can't find or afford an original one, are nice enough. They sell for around $40.

This is a copy of a picture from this KCA photos page that shows the variety of muzzle covers used for different Krags:

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Also, your serial number is below the official BATFE cut off for "antique" Krag rifles that were made before Jan. 1, 1899. Any Krag rifle with the serial number 152671 and higher was made in or after 1899 which, by their rules, is considered non-antique and requires purchase by or transfer through an FFL or C&R license. Yours can be sold and sent through the mail without needing a license or registration. There are laws, though, in different states that may require certain conditions for shipping any firearm, even an antique, so always ask someone who is knowledgable.

That's why the exact serial number is needed. Thanks!

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Hello: thanks again for all the info. Its interesting about the one rifle being an antique and another modern because of its serial number. I have been trying to acquire this piece for quite some time and do not intend to sell it any time soon. It's funny this is the oldest U.S.
Military weapon I own and it was the previous owners most modern. I had to come up with some civil war items to get it. That took a lot of hunting around but I think it was worth it.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:36am
Print Post  
I don't have access to the SRS information to perhaps offer more details, but your serial number 143581 is listed in Mallory's as being issued to Co. G , 2nd USV Engr.  There are quite a few others listed to several other Companies in that Regiment.  Many can be found in the 143,000 range, but there are many others in the range between 142000 and at least 146000.  I found only 2 numbers (145168 and 145169) that were consecutive numbers.  There may be others, but having so many issued to more than one Company, would seem to indicate an early issue on a unit basis rather than simply replacements. I expect that we will find more information about this unit's history.  It's always fun to see some history unfold about pieces we own, so stay tuned boys and girls.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2019 at 5:40am by olderthansome »  

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your detective work! The layers of history are being peeled back.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Hi King Carp,

Here's a website that has lots of information about the Spanish America War (SAW) to include info about the unit that your Krag was issued to:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

BTW: do you fish for King Carp???
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:09pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint