Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Head Shot! (Read 6801 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Head Shot!
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 4:15pm:
If I'm reading this right, why would your 112 have had the brass tipped cleaning rod if it had the 1896 mods? I must have missed something.

The M1892 original bolts with cocking pieces are nice, aren't they? Hard to find as replacements.

Because the -ahem- gentleman acquired a modified 94 without a cleaning rod, which are more rare than a virgin goat in Mecca, and sold it as near original.  It is a repro rod.  A hundred and twenty year old piece of brass should not be bright and shiny as a new candle stick. it should look like it has been touched and oxidized.  Similiar to a bright new one cent coin and a thirty year old one.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I can believe that it was a nooby "oversight". I'm pretty sure I could have made the same mistake early on.

But, a modified M1894, 94/96, would have the channel filled and no long cleaning rod. It would be in pieces in the butt. I guess that's what I'm checking on. That's why I'm saying I'm missing something.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
You are focusing on the stock.  It is a transient item.  You can change a bad stock for a correct stock, heh if you can find one, and all would be good.  Most of the time when someone says the 1894s were modified to 1896 means the hold open notch has been cut into the receiver.  And the cocking piece is typically a 1896.

That notch, and all other parts being equal, can be a few thousand dollar difference in the value of the Krag from what I have seen over the years.

One of the guys here picked up the most complete Krag I have ever seen.  It even had the original squared cocking piece. Shocked

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
So, you mean a partially modified rifle. That's what I was confused with. A fully modified one would have all of the changes.

Thanks for clarifying that!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Well that is the problem.  Did every Krag get sent back to Springfield for mods?  After reading Joe Farmer's book I would think not so much.  Did most?  Yep.  Did a rare unicorn fall through the cracks?  I'm thinking yes.

I would not pay thousands for a 1894 if the "specialness" is gone and it is a run of the mill 800-1000 dollar Krag.  The specialness is an unmodified receiver.  Everything else is just parts.  Of course if the rifle is under a certain date then you can get into the lunatic hunt for the correct serial numbered parts.  3140 has its matching parts and original cleaing rod.  112 does not. 

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Good points. Although, as has happened with many collectibles in the past, as time goes on, even slightly altered M1894s will be commanding premium prices. If more collectors ever start to come out of the wood work, anything goes with what will be sought after and collected.

They're all special to me but some are more special than others!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 19th, 2019 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 5:41pm:
Camp Perry or Bust 2020

I'm gonna hold you to that bub!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]