Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
what get stored in the butt stock (Read 2377 times)
fourbore
KCA Forum Member

what get stored in the butt stock
Jun 21st, 2019 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I got an oil from eBay that is similar in size to the M1 carbine oiler. I assume this stores inside the butt stock. There is a lot more room.  I see some sellers offer a sectional cleaning rod with the same oiler. What else goes in there? The cleaning rod?  My gun was made in 1902, if that matters.

I expected to see a makers mark on the oiler cap. It looks old, but; is unmarked. Is that correct?  The seller guarantees real and if all is right, I would go back to him for what else I need. Calls himself Gandpa's Gun Parts.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: what get stored in the butt stock
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Granpa's Gun Parts is the best place to get what you need from an honest supplier. His father sold Krag and Springfield parts before him and he, somehow, still has parts to sell. If he says it's original, it is. I have bought from him before. There are some reproduction oilers and cleaning rods out there as you suspected.

The oiler is usually unmarked. The butt place holds the oiler, which is slid in first into the slight cut out recess towards the curved side of the butt, then the three part cleaning rod pieces fit neatly into the three holes deep in the butt which you can see if you shine a flashlight into the butt compartment.

So, you have it correct. The earliest Krag, M1892, did not have a butt compartment and held a full length ram rod (cleaning rod) under the barrel. It had no oiler that fit into the rifle anywhere.

Now you need the cleaning rod set. The full set of cleaning rods and oiler usually cost around $50. (There are two extension segments to the three cleaning rods and one upper segment that has the patch slot. make sure you are getting the correct pieces if you buy them.)

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
The oiler, and multi piece(3) cleaning rods store in the buttstock of the Krag Rifle and Carbine.  There are pre-drilled holes for each section of the rod and the oiler. The oilers i have seen are unmarked and have a brush inside.

Mike W.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
The correct oiler may have a point on the stem connected to the unscrewed cap - not really a "brush".

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for the help.  I ordered the 3 piece rod.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
A helpful tidbit:  Once you get your cleaning rods, and load up your butt trap, stuff some cleaning patches in there before you close the trap.  This will keep everything nice and tight and prevent things from rattling around!

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Yes indeed. I have done that with other rifles.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:20am
Print Post  
When assembled, the three rod sections are too short to clean the 30" Krag rifle barrel.

In the old days, soldiers would 'pair up' and combine four sections, in order to clean their Krags in the field.

Reportedly, carbines only carried two rod sections, that were slightly heavier than the rifle version.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 10:10am
Print Post  
That is good to know.  I have modern one piece rods, but; I most likely would have had another doubt if, or when, I found the 3 sections came up short.  My Siamese Mauser has one short segment and the story there is the same. Soldiers would share rod sections.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint