Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 inherited from my Grandpa (Read 1282 times)
scryptic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 inherited from my Grandpa
Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Hello everyone, I'm happy to have found this forum.

My grandpa was in the Korean war and there's some rumor he had a rifle sent home in the mail. I'm not sure if this was the rifle because I don't know why he would have had access to a Krag during that time period.

Does anyone know if Krags were used in the Korean war or if soldiers routinely got to keep their service rifles?
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2019 at 6:05pm by scryptic »  

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 inherited from my Grandpa
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
The quick answer is 'Probably not'.  But the rest of the story gets a little complicated.  The U.S. military was never officially on the Korean Peninsula in force, but we were in the neighborhood.  In the first few years of the 20th Century we were in China for the Boxer Rebellion and in the Philippines - our new U.S. Possession for the battle with Moro tribesmen during the Philippine Insurrection.  We used a few Krags in China, but we used a lot more Krags in the Philippine Insurrection and even armed the Philippine native defense force with special Krags designed just for them.
Fast forward and we find the Japanese in both Korea and in the Phillippines and even China during the first 40 years of the Century.  There is a book called "Shots Fired in Anger - A Rifleman's thoughts on Japanese Activties on Guadalcanal."  He opines that the Japanese never wasted any rifles they captured and could reuse.  He claims that lots of British Enfields and even Krags were found in the possession of Japanese troops on Guadalcanal.  If correct, that would seem to indicate that they could have been in Korea as well.
Now the serial number on your Grandfather's Krag seems a bit low to have been among the Krags we had in the Pacific, but I suppose it is possible.  More likely, I think, is that he bought the Krag in a sports shop or department store as surplus before or after his time in Korea.  Was he a hunter?  Do you have any photos?  It would be fun to see the piece and let us all give you our 2 cents worth.  Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
As an update, I looked for other serial numbers close to the one you listed for your Grandpa and I found that there were several numbers within 2 or 3 hundred (or possibly more) that had been issued to the 8th US Infantry in 1900 or 1901 and a quick search of the 8th US Infantry indicates that they were, indeed, in the Philippines during that time.  I haven't yet found what role they had specifically, but I imagine that could be found with a little more looking.

I also remember that I had a close friend that had served in Korea during that war and he used to talk about rifles and such that they could buy in Japan (most of the guys spent a little time in Japan) while on leave or in transit to Korea.  So, it seems that your Grandpa could even have bought the rifle in Japan and sent it home as a souvenir.  It is too old to have been his service rifle.  If he was in the infantry, not an officer, he likely carried an M1 Garand, but in any case, it wasn't common for a GI to keep his rifle.

It certainly can be interesting to search for information about your Grandpa and his experiences.  It is always wonderful to keep our history alive and certainly, to see that our decendents are interested in finding the substance in a family 'story'.  Good luck to you on your efforts.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
scryptic wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:27am:
Does anyone know if soldiers routinely got to keep their service rifles?

Howdy... and welcome to the forum!

Sometimes yes... back in the day, sometimes servicemen did keep their rifles.  My WW1 veteran Krag was brought home by the Guardsman/Soldier that carried it in France.  My father used to have a friend that kept his M-16 after his tour in Vietnam.  This doesn't happen anymore (they call that Government Theft nowadays). 

IP Logged

scryptic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information everyone
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2019 at 6:04pm by scryptic »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint