Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Smith Corona 1903A3 (Read 4133 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Smith Corona 1903A3
Dec 3rd, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I pulled this baby out when I was going through my Krags for bolt measurements. Thought I'd share it with the group and ask for some comments on the valuation based on what it is. This is a very early Smith Corona 1903A3 made in November 1942. The SC serial numbers started October 1942 with 3,608,000 when 20 rifles were made in October. This one has the barrel dated 11-42 and the serial number showing it is the 1,506th SC 1903A3 made. The barrel is 6-groove and the bore looks pristine. I see evidence of some copper fouling in the grooves so I won't say it is unused or unissued. I don't know how to determine that exactly. There were supposed to only have been 5000 6-groove barrels used in the first few months of Smith Corona manufacturing of the 1903A3s from High Standard barrels made for them until they had production geared up for the more common 4-groove barrels used starting about Feb 1943.

The rifle has the Smith Corona butt plate with the 11 squares to the inch and an unmarked rear sight which may be SC. The bolt and rest of the parts are marked "R". The stock, as far as I understand, is a SC stock. It is an arsenal update unless the rifle, being such an early production, used Remington parts when originally made at Smith Corona. I understand they did use Remington parts until they had production of all of their parts at their factory. I'd like to know. I'm not sure why an apparently unused rifle would need upgrading in the first place.

So, please let me know what you think. Is the rear sight SC if it is not stamped "R"? Is this original with the Remington parts or from an arsenal rebuild?

I'm also very confused about the "RA-P" stamping. I know the Frank Atwood inspector stamp but some references say the "RA" stands for Remington Arms and some say Raritan Arsenal where the rifle was rebuilt and reproofed (RA-P). But, again, why would an apparently unused rifle need to be rebuilt? Very confusing.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Smith Corona 1903A3
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
more pics 1903A3

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
That's quite a nice '03-A3, Whig.

FWIW - All the metal looks rather uniform in finish to me.

It does not seem to have the odd variety of blued parts, and different shades of 'parkerized' finish on component parts, that is seen on '03-A3 rifles with 'original finish' .

I suspect it went through Raritan for 'refurbishing'.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Hi Whig,

You have a very nice Smith Corona that has a mix of Remington parts thrown in.

The Stock would appear to be an early Smith Corona stock by the use of stock re-enforcing pins instead of screws/bolts.  Additionally, your Smith Corona band spring inlets are rounded and correct instead of being squared as seen on Remington stocks.

According to Joe Poyer's book about the 1903...Smith Corona rear sights were generally unmarked.

Joe's book also points out that the RA-P mark indicates Post-World War II rebuild at the Raritan Arsenal.

Attached is a Smithy, like yours, that sold for $2,875 at an RIA auction back in 12/3/2016!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Also attached are Pics of my Remington (top) and Smith Corona (bottom) Model 03-A3s.  Both of them came to me originally sporterized.

I estimate that my Model 03-A3s would sell for around $600-800.  Yours is an original with a scarce 6 grove barrel and would command a much higher price!
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2019 at 4:42pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Thanks. Since it has officially been through a rebuild, I have no interest in trying to make it "correct" by getting SC parts. This is how it was and will remain. Looks great and I'll be shooting it at some point to test its accuracy out!

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 3:41am
Print Post  
That's a fine looking 03A3. It is a piece of history, I would leave it as is. From what I have read not all rifles were totally rebuilt. If they passed inspection they were stamped and stored. My 1903 Springfield was heavily rebuilt at raritan. It has a Mark 1 stock and parts from all makers, then reparkerized!  It is a real mongrel but shoots fine. Thanks for sharing your 03A3 with the forum. I like the 03's as much as my krag rifle.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Here’s my 6 groove SC 03-A3 with CMP certificate and all original parts. I don’t think it’s been through a rebuild and the barrel is 1-43. I don’t have better pics right now, but can post per requests later. I’d love to hear thoughts or input as this is new to me.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Additional pics

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Last set

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
So, you got one that wasn't put through an arsenal rebuild. Very nice.

I wonder why mine was rebuilt when it obviously looks unused and probably didn't need anything replaced. I think, from what I'm reading, that it was automatic to switch out parts without regard to needing to do so. Then they were stamped as a rebuild and put back into storage.

Have you shot it yet?

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I literally got it last night so I haven’t had the opportunity. It was a local private sale. I thought it was a good deal so I bought it.

It does seem odd that yours is in pristine shape and yet went through an arsenal rebuild. While the one I bought is very clean and nice, I believe it has been used and yet it escaped a rebuild during its life.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I have a 1943 Remington '03-A3, it has Lyman front and rear target sights. With match grade 168 grain ammo, it shoots 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards, and 4 inch groups at 600. I hope yours shoots as well.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Sounds great but 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards is unheard of. Must have been a typo. That's like one fifth MOA from open sights. I'd like that on my Robar SR90 sniper rifle. With an 8x80 March Optics scope, I can regularly get 1/2 MOA at 500 yards with 175 grain .308 reloads in my SR90.

Maybe you meant 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.

I'm anxious to get out and try the 03A3 out to see what I can do. I have gotten down to 1 MOA a few times with my Krag rifle at 200 yards. That's pushing it for me but it's a 120 year old Mil Surp rifle.  Still working on the best reloads for the old treasure.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Thought I'd "step" into this 1903 - '03-A3 thread:

Bottom: '03-A3 Remington with a R.A. '2-43' barrel. I've had it for over 30 years and fired it a lot in slow-fire matches.
This rifle appeared 'Like New', when I bought it. There are no markings, at all, on the 'scant-grip' stock (?). All metal is a uniform 'Park', with nothing 'blued'.

It is the way it was, when I bought it from a fellow shooting-club member.
He claimed he bought it from the DCM. He never used it and wouldn't even open the action. (I bought the gun and not the story).
There was a time when I could not stand the sight of the stamped parts of a 1903-A3. I have come to 'love' this rifle!

Middle: A (November-1935 dated) Springfield Armory 1903. This lovely Action and Barrel were in a 'sportered' stock and had commercial sights. I "restored" it to 1903 configuration, with original parts, about four years ago.

Top: My 'Bushmaster Carbine - Bantam Sniper' fantasy rifle, (a current fun project in progress). The 1903 action dates from 1921.
The receiver has been drilled and tapped for Weaver bases and the barrel cut to 20 inches. I got the metal from an ugly cheap 'sporter' and am assembling something useful from discarded parts.

If I can find a good deal on a loose '03-A3 barrel, I may try for a '03-A4 'look alike'.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2019 at 4:49pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I like that scant grip stock!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint