Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sights and handguards (Read 1524 times)
Jime444
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sights and handguards
Jun 6th, 2020 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Looking at a local 1898, 1900 cartouche.  Nice rifle, good bore, stock, bluing.  Fixed windage. Ladder sights, no windage adjustment. 
Would like to swap to the 1902 pattern sight to shoot it in cast Bullet matches.  Possible?  Smart? Not going to Bubba it, too nice a rifle.  He wants $1000.  Recommended or continue the search?   Thx.  J.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sights and handguards
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:31am
Print Post  
J.

Welcome to KCA. We enjoy having new people stop by and ask questions about their Krags. Hopefully, we can steer you in the right direction. And Krags are addictive. You can't own just one!

There are different "ladder" rear sights on the Krags. Knowing which one you have is important in answering your question. The hand guards, if yours has one, can dictate which rear sight will fit. All of the official Modeled rear Krag sights have the same screw holes. But, different screws are used for different Model sights and you might not be able to use your hand guard with the Model 1902 rear sight.

We have debated this issue many times before, also. I have found it easier for accuracy to use the Model 1901 rear sight. Just personal preference and , maybe, my eyes. Others do like the Model 1902 rear sight.

Paul on here has stated how he has drilled out the Sgt Peep opening on his Model 1902 rear sight on his Krag and can shoot better with it enlarged. He says that a certain enlargement is legal per Camp Perry rules, if you choose to shoot competitively. I tried this but I still prefer using the ladder of the Model 1901 sight.

As to price of the one you are considering, it could be worth it but we would be able to give you a lot more information if you post pictures and give more info about this specific Krag. $1000 might be a little stiff in some cases and a good buy in others. I am a stickler for a great bore, especially for long distance accuracy. Later Krag rifles tend to have better bores because many later made Krags did not see as much action in wars and battles. Even some pitting, though, can still allow for good accuracy in these beasts!

Below is a picture, taken from the "Photos" page of this website, showing the different Krag hand guards and which rear sights fit them. "R" is for rifle and "C" is for carbine. Some hand guards fit more than one
Krag model.

Thanks for stopping by and hope we can help. There are many opinions here but we all love Krags!

IP Logged

Jime444
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
From my review, it appears it’s a 1896 rear sight.  Ladder sight, no windage lever etc.  a 1898 manufactured in 1900 with a 1896 sight.  Smells funny, you tell me.  Gun is nice, good bire, but he wants too much, I’m thinking.  $1100.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
You are correct that it is not original to have such a mix of parts. But, Krags have been rebuilt at the armory and, with so many changes that occurred over their short life span, many Krags have a mix of different parts.

But, having said that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having mixed parts on a Krag because they are, for the most part, interchangeable and function well together. Many of us have Krags that are different than when they left Springfield Armory and we are quite happy with them. The original AND correct Krags are most of the time more valuable as military firearms.

So, the one you are looking at may be fine for an average collector and for shooting purposes. You can learn a lot from buying and using any Krag. But, ask questions here first, get a Poyer's book (around $25) from ebay, and learn about them before investing too much. Many of us have over paid for a Krag here and there but they are still fun and may go up in value.

Sporterized Krags have a much lower value but are still often good shooting and hunting rifles.

If you can get pictures that would help us to evaluate it better.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Jime444
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
The sellers been a bit stubborn, he refuses to take a photo or two for me.  Me thinks he’s got Ulterior motives.  I’ll pick up Poyers book and educate myself. 
I’m looking for a excellent shooter with windage sights.  But, no museum pieces.  Something like my sisters Pinto that I squeezed a 289 into.  That made me a lot of money for about two months.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Sounds like a RED flag warning to me.  I would continue my search elsewhere. 
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
1898's with 1901 and 1902 rear sights abound and for less than 1K. Check out Gunbroker and be happy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint