25 1898 Krags (Read 8496 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krags
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:33am
Print Post  
HUH?

$1,000 bills sell on ebay all the time for $3,000-4,000. 32 x $4,000 = $128,000, give or take.

If one lot sold for $1 million, it had to be something unusually rare.

Holding 32 of these babes is pretty neat, though, Paul!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 4:41am
Print Post  
I'd be good with 3 or 4 times over face-value!

I must of got 'auction fever' with my two million dollar bid.

IP Logged

hoocher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the good input.  Where would I find possible buyers?  Is there a collector websites out there?   Thanks

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Fred,

There was a MASH 4077 episode about that same kind of thing. A lot of responsibility for an enlisted man.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Hoocher- As to your original question asked about your Krags for sale, before we hi-jacked your post, I would suggest Gun Broker, again, as a resource to find out what they might be worth and see what people are buying. There are certainly a lot more for sale than buyers for the lower value, run-of-the-mill Krag.  You haven't shown us enough to help you put a realistic value on them. Don't get your hopes up too high but it's worth a try.

The biggest mistake many people make is over valuing an item and setting the price too high. That comes, also, with not knowing what you have and what it's worth. If you don't have a lot in them, it makes it easier to sell them at a fair price.

Some people send them to an auction house which can get a higher price but takes a long time and costs a bunch in commission. Some people advertise on Face Book or sell them at gun shows but you need to know the local laws for selling yourself including sending out of state. Best to work through a licensed dealer to stay out of trouble.

Or, you could send them free of charge to me and I'll hang on to them for safe-keeping for a few years (or indefinitely!).

Hope this info helps some. So many choices!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
O.P. wants to sell his Krag and we are talking about big money!

Probably a start could be contacting the KCA administrator and listing it in 'classifieds' or listing it on GunBroker site.

When gun shows return, that is a sales opportunity.

Other gun forums have 'For Sale' listings.

Some gun shops buy guns, but, paying 1/2 of what they will sell it for, is the norm.

Believe it or not, Krag rifles are not hot sellers these days. (Most of the gun buying public has little interest).

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
"Some gun shops buy guns, but, paying 1/2 of what they will sell it for, is the norm." True, most gun shops make little profit from selling new guns, they make their money selling used ones. I work in a gun shop part time, we recently sold a $1495.00 retail price gun, and made only $200.00 profit. This normal for new guns. If not for buying and selling used guns, we would have to sell ALOT of new guns, to stay in business.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Yep, nation wide, U.S. Krag enthusiasts are a very small fraternity.
Its tough to meet anyone who knows what one is, let alone know much about them.
I happen to like them better than the 1903 Springfield for several reasons. You would think that those reasons would make and keep them popular. However I only personally know three people who know about and own one.
Two of them are really big collectors and the third now only owns two rifles, but is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2020 at 4:57pm by Fred G. »  

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Let me start all over again. In my world unmolested Krags start at about 600 dollars and it is are rifle indeed that will break the 750 dollar barier.

I've been tracking them for years on Gunbroker and again the start at a little over 600 dollars and break the 1000 dollar barier with a fair degree of regularity with many anomolies going for less than 600 and more than 1000 dollars.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I've actually been watching nice, collectible Krags selling for progressively increasing prices. This includes nice military condition rifles and authentic carbines. Many have recently gone for $1500-2000 including commissions. I'm not buying much these days for different reasons but I still watch auctions.

So, there's still a growing interest but for higher end Krags. Gun Broker is replete with run-of-the-mill Krags not getting any bids.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Hmmmm  and $2 dollar bills are worth - you guessed it - two dollars!

Does anyone remember the bicentennial bills?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Did this thread get off track?

They used to have $100,000 notes for inter bank transfers. Probably not many of them around. I doubt the public would ever have had a reason to even touch one.

Back to Krags, I have 2 1935 silver certificates one is a $1.00 note the other a $5.00 and 2 1953 $2 dollar bills.  Anyone want to trade them for a nice original carbine?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Gosh, Fred. You've got about $30 worth of US currency there. What kind of Krag you wanting to trade for?

Now, if they were rare Pokeman cards or Mickey Mantle signed rookie cards, you might be looking for something real special!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:34pm:
Gosh, Fred. You've got about $30 worth of US currency there. What kind of Krag you wanting to trade for?

Now, if they were rare Pokeman cards or Mickey Mantle signed rookie cards, you might be looking for something real special!

You really know how to squash dreams. I wanted to go straight across for a "as issued original". Nuts! (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Did I get the thread back on the Krag track?

IP Logged

hoocher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
again..thanks for the input.  I haven't had much chance to pursue this much lately.  I can tell you that a local gun shop offered $400.  Maybe Gun Broker is the way to go from here.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint