Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
rebuild or not (Read 2451 times)
Islandbob
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

rebuild or not
Jun 19th, 2020 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Hello to all. This is my first post and I am looking for info about rebuilding a Krag 98 The Krag has been chromed its barrel has been cut down and plunged The stock has been shortened but retains the top band with lug (school gun?)  I believe it was a VFW gun It was given to me because the owner thought it was a lost cause.I was thinking about stripping the chrome rebarreling (cmp barrel turning down the muzzle to accept bayonet) keeping cutdown stock(36" cut just prior to the lighting grove.would like some good advice

I own a few US Krags oldest being a 92 converted to a 96
newest a 98 made in 1900 and a  96 carbine #35332 (possible a NYV unit)good story behind it but i have no documentation
Thanks for your input
Bob

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: rebuild or not
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Well in some ways it is a lost cause.  But if all you are up against is a rebarrel then I say go for it.  It's only time and money.  The purist in me though says if you are going rebarrel, make look GI.  No 1903 front sights.  Make either a rifle barrel length gun or a 22 inch carbine gun.  Make it right or hang it on the wall.

I have no opinion about the chrome.  I do not know what it would take to get it off without dinking with the metal underneath it.  Nor do I know how it might look afterwards.  It may or may not look like heck now but are you willing to roll the dice that it might look worst?

Pictures would help out here.   Wink  Just saying.

And welcome to the Universe's greatest Krag fourm!

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Hi, Bob.

I bought a nickel plated Krag a while ago and it looks pretty neat. These old parade Krags were mostly chrome plated which flakes off and discolors after a while and looks crappy. I like the nickel plating better which still holds a nice shine. Mine was incorrectly plated inside the chamber which will change chamber dimensions some and possibly cause malfunctions. The bore may have been altered with yours also. Sometimes, parade rifles have been permanently altered to allow only blanks to be shot. Some have had the firing pin cut or removed so nothing can be shot. Check the chamber and bore.

I have also heard of some plating techniques damage the metal below wheresas it is no longer shot worthy. Need to have extra caution with parade rifles all over!!

I would keep it as a wall hanger and shoot your other Krags. Might be safer and restoring these things can get expensive. Your choice.

But, pictures would be appreciated, please, so we can enjoy your treasure and make better suggestions.

I'd like to see your other Krags too and know more about them.

Thanks for stopping by.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I am a machinist and work with metal all the time and all I have is unanswered questions on the changes that plating then stripping the plating would do to the base metal. With some heat treated steels plating causes hydrogen embrittlement. (The KCA editor does not like how I spelled that word.) With my commercial parts, my plater has immediately taken the finished parts and heated them to 300F to drive out the hydrogen from the steel. Was that done when your Krag was plated or even necessary with low carbon mild steel that has been case hardened? If the original plating did not wreck the steel will exposure to more hydrogen in the stripping process harm anything? I do not know the answer to either question. Thin plating probably would not change any dimension by it self to be a concern.

Looking over your original post you have other Krags, enjoy using them and let this one be a wall hanger till you get authoritive answers.
Not sure who could give you those answers, maybe a gunsmith that works with plating on case hardened guns. Others have mentioned cost, this could be a deep money pit with little to show for it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint