Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Help me get on the paper (Read 1193 times)
Shane
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help me get on the paper
Jul 6th, 2020 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Some time back, my father in law bought a sporterized rifle in 30-40 Krag for the scope that it was wearing and gave me the rifle... sweet!

I ran out and finally found some core-lokt ammo and eventually took it out to the range to find that I could not get it to group at 100yds. Same at 50 yds, etc. Did not bother to take pics of the targets due to the shame that I felt. But suffice it to say that I am capable of shooting 1/2 groups with some of my rifles.

Any tips that experienced shooters of this cartridge can offer to me? I've had me personal lessons learned on bullet stabilization and twist rate so I don't think that is my issue.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help me get on the paper
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Shane,

Welcome to KCA!

You ask a very important but very complicated question about your sporterized Krag, a question which definitely spans the use of all rifles, including some contemporary ones.

It is difficult to offer many quick answers to your problem without having the rifle in hand to inspect and evaluate. It sounds like there is a major problem, hopefully an easily fixable one.

If you are familiar with these issues to some degree, here are a few pertinent questions.

Did you examine the bore? Is it totally shot out and look like a sewer pipe with deep pitting and no rifling visible? Did you check the scope mount and bore sight the scope? Is the muzzle damaged? Does the bolt work smoothly in the chamber? Is there any damage to the barrel such as dents or a bend? Is there a front barrel band that is screwed in way too tight or very loose? Is the trigger guard screwed in evenly? Are bullets actually coming out of the end of the barrel and not stacking up inside the bore (!-This actually happens sometimes!!)

These are a few considerations that could significantly affect accuracy. There are other concerns, also. The ammo should not be an issue if it is factory, as you said.

We might be able to help more if you can give us more info about your Krag and post lots of pictures. We have helped diagnose problems before but need pictures and detailed info such as the above questions deal with.

Others will have more suggestions but we all will agree pictures can help us.

Have a good evening and welcome again. Good luck in your endeavor to get the Krag on paper!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 5:24am
Print Post  
'Shane' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I'm sorry you are having accuracy problems with your Krag.

As 'Whig' said, pictures would likely help others spot potential problems.

The truth be told, I have never had a U.S. Krag, even with a rough bore, that didn't group at 50 yards.

I am not sure what type of sights and stock your Krag 'sporter' is now 'wearing'. 

You said your " ... father-in-law took the scope and gave you the Krag".
Does it now have a replacement Scope or iron-sights?

What type of stock is now on your Krag?

Bad accuracy is usually a problem with a bad scope, a loose mount, loose iron sights, poor stock bedding, or a damaged muzzle crown.

The first thing to know is if the problem is:

Sight calibration - The shots group, but, not close to point of aim, maybe even totally missing the target. (This is corrected by adjusting the sights).

Lack of accuracy - Some shots hit the target backer, but, fail to group predictably. (This is likely a result of poor stock bedding, faulty sight mounting, defective scope, or mount is loose).

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Welcome to a great forum Shane!
All the aforementioned advice is "spot-on". 
I would only add a couple of points.  Start close and work your way out.  With a difficult situation like yours, I might even start at 15 yds then 25 or 50. 
Confirm your bore condition.  I once got burnt on an internet trade for a 1898 Krag.  The bore looked like a sewer pipe and wouldn't hold a 12" group at 20 yds, plus keyholing.   
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
also slug the bore, it has been mentioned here numerous times that some Krags seem to have "good looking" but over sized bores.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Slugging the bore is a great idea with Krags with reloading especially.

If your bore is pitted heavily, though, slugging can be deceptive because the lead can shred as it is moved through the bore and change the actual bore size determination.

I have a couple Mil surp rifles with sewer pipe bores. Terrible thing to see but a reality with corrosive primers. Fortunately, I have avoided this with Krags. I've been lucky with a few I've bought over the internet but I check them out as much as I can in person.

Bad bores are really BORE-ing!!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
This Krag was wearing a scope. I assume it is not now. How far off target would it be without the front blade? Without the blade the front sight might resemble BR's Berthier and shoot way high.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Rifle accuracy problems are caused by one of three factors: rifle, ammunition, or shooter. All three have to be examined individually.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint