Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Deciding between two Krags (Read 7235 times)
Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Deciding between two Krags
Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately that thread I had going with pictures of different Krags got lost. There was some really good advice in there from some of you that I kept coming back to review as I looked at different Krags. Now I've come down to deciding between two Krags; an 1898 Rifle and 1899 Carbine. Neither is perfect but that's why they fall into my price range; either can be had in the $600-700 range.

Rifle: Swollen stock, bore isn't great, some rust on the barrel. Otherwise original and in good condition. What will it take to clean this up, and what is it worth?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Carbine: Finish on barrel/receiver was removed, bore is 60%, rear sight is slightly bent, front sight is filed down, slight cut near muzzle. Stock is original carbine, hasn't been cut down, and is verified to shoot by the seller.

So what's the general consensus? I have more pics but ran out of text.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:44pm by Marcus99 »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Deciding between two Krags
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Marcus99:  I don't know what 60% bore means.  Both of these candidates appear to have serious rust damage to their bores.  They both have rust damage and pitting on the external surfaces.  I think a Rifle is what you most want.  But, that pictured Fla. rifle probably has some deep pits under those 'crusted' areas.  It has been my practice to always buy rifles with really good bores.  Dark and pitted bores never clean up.  Even if they shoot well, you waste time and supplies trying to get them clean.  My advice is to wait, get some books, save money and keep shopping.  Decide what you really want.  (Of the two, I'd lean toward the Carbine.  But this is because I like Carbine length Krags and the one you are looking at appears to have a nice stock.  If that one were mine, I'd consider a refinish of the metal...Gasp!).

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Decisions, decisions!  What do you intend to do with your new-to-you Krag?  Go hunting?  Hang it on the wall?  Put it in the gun safe?  Shoot jacketed ammunition, commercial or reloads?  Shoot cast bullets?  Undertake a restoration project?

Before you decide, try the trigger pull on both.  That may be a deciding factor.

For hunting or for a shooter, especially with cast bullets, I would favor the carbine.  If you intend to shoot jacketed bullets, maybe in some sort of "old warhorses" organization, the rifle might be best.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
What is the cause or reason for the cut on the carbine's muzzle?

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Butlerrangers
I don't know what 60% bore means either  Roll Eyes, that's what the seller told me at which point I requested those pictures. I assume it means 60% is left of what was there when it was 100% brand new.

I know it is hard to tell from some of those pictures, but where are you seeing rust on the Carbine? This could well be ignorance on my part, but I thought that "coloring" on the barrel of the carbine was lack of finish and dirt. Obviously on the other hand the rifle has rust on the barrel and presumably the bore, no argument there, but I was wondering if that is correctable. Again I have no experience with older guns needing a serious cleanup so I'm sorry if this is well known stuff.

I did a lot of calling around and looking on about 5 different auction sites as well as local listings. There are Krags up here in the Northeast but nearly all are sporterized, and even then the prices are high $600 and up. I did come across originals, but those were $900 and up, heck most were over $1000. Maybe the market for Krags has changed, I dunno, but I'm just not seeing current (or even past sold) Krags that go for what I can afford to swing right now. Even if I had $1000 to throw into this, I couldn't justify spending that on a Krag despite the fact I think they are really neat guns. I gotta draw the line somewhere, ya know.

I do like that rifle, but that rust makes me really nervous. The dealer has been straightforward and provided many pictures but I'm still concerned that it may not function or something could turn out wrong. Meanwhile the Carbine has some finish removed and other minor issue's but otherwise it isn't cut down (barrel or stock) and I was assured by the seller that it shoots well.

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
waterman

No hunting or competition, purely fun at the range. It'll make it to the range somewhat frequently (once a month maybe), so no safe queen, everything I own I shoot. I reload for my handguns and use hardcast lead, if I could do the same with the Krag I'd be very happy, which leads me to ask, where can I get 220gr .308 round nose hardcast lead bullets for reloading .30-40 krag (I can't cast my own right now, need to buy). So yes, I'd want a shooter that I can use lead bullets in, why is the carbine better for that?

I can't see either in person, they're on opposite sides of the country haha. The seller of the carbine doesn't know why the cut is there but speculates someone was going to cut it down and then changed their mind.

I'd be lost without the advice here, these Krags are damn complicated guns.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Maybe someone started to file it to step-down the muzzle to take a bayonet and create a fake Constabulary Carbine?  It might be possible to have that blemish filled with a low temperature weld in a re-finish of the barrel (or machine a step in the barrel and silver-solder a collar over the step and restore the original contour.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Photos of the bore don't really tell you much, but here is my tuppence worth.  The rifle's bore looked dark. It's anybody's guess what you would find when you started scrubbing.  And it may well never clean up.  Barrels like that sometimes shoot jacketed bullets pretty well, but rarely do well with cast bullets.

The carbine bore looked as if it had just been worn but was otherwise smooth.  Those often shoot reasonably well with oversize cast bullets. 

For cast bullets, try to find .311 (or larger) hard-cast gas check bullets already lubricated for starters.  .308s are apt to be a disappointment.  Look for something like Lyman 311284 or 311299.

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:10am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:04am:
Photos of the bore don't really tell you much, but here is my tuppence worth.  The rifle's bore looked dark. It's anybody's guess what you would find when you started scrubbing.  And it may well never clean up.  Barrels like that sometimes shoot jacketed bullets pretty well, but rarely do well with cast bullets.

The carbine bore looked as if it had just been worn but was otherwise smooth.  Those often shoot reasonably well with oversize cast bullets. 

For cast bullets, try to find .311 (or larger) hard-cast gas check bullets already lubricated for starters.  .308s are apt to be a disappointment.  Look for something like Lyman 311284 or 311299.

Gotcha, so I want to compensate for the worn bore by using bullets sized a little larger. I will start looking for some online. How do Krags handle lead, I know some rifles (like AR's) don't like lead.

The other concern I had with the carbine is what the seller said about the sight, here is what he said verbatim;

rear sight leaf is a is a little bent to the right which is a easy repair but I did not fool with it as it does sit in the base correctly.  Also the elevation locking screw is slightly bent but it still functions as it should.

I keep thinking I should go for the rifle, but that carbine keeps pulling me in   Wink

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 2:07am
Print Post  
The internal dimensions of Krag barrels vary greatly.  More of them measure .310 to .312 than .308.  But some are as small as .306.  Phil Sharpe wrote about it back in the 1930s and said he had tried to learn why and came up with no answer.

Ultimately, you will need to slug the bore and measure the slug accurately.  Shoot gas check bullets of at least groove diameter or a bit more, a good lube and do not try to set any velocity records. 

But undersized hard lead bullets will predictably leave lead deposits in the bore.  They will let the hot gas by and that will cause the leading.

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Never slugged a bore before; is that done by pushing an oversized lead bullet down the barrel with a wooden dowel and then measuring the diameter of the bullet with a caliper?

I spoke with the seller of the carbine for a good 20 minutes. The rifling is the weakest near the chamber and gets stronger out to the muzzle. I feel pretty good about buying from him, he even stated that if I'm not happy with the carbine he will take it back, and judging by his reputation on that forum I have a feeling he'd stand by that statement. As several people have said, that rifle with the iffy bore is a risk, maybe more risk than I am willing to take. So I'll sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow.

Either way, thank you all very much for your help, can't wait to get a Krag to the range and see why you guys are so obsessed with them  Grin

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Marcus:  I believe there was a close-up of the 1899 Carbine Action in the pictures you first posted.  It looked to me like there was fine surface pitting.  I think this is also present on the close-ups of the 1901 Carbine rear sight.  These are not deep and not to be messed with.  They give a bit of patina and character.  Because it appears to be a correct carbine and has nice wood, the whole package is attractive.  Because the barrel finish is gone, if this carbine were mine, I would burnish just the barrel with scotch brite pad and fine steel wool.  I'd degrease the barrel surface and apply plum-brown and then several coats of cold-blue over the brown (to just the barrel) gently applying some heat with a propane torch with each coat.  Wipe the barrel with wet rags, dry, and then wipe with oil soaked rags.  I normally only preserve original finish.  But IMHO this carbine would be inhanced with a dull blue finish on the barrel (and it can always be removed).

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 4:15am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:36am:
Marcus:  I believe there was a close-up of the 1899 Carbine Action in the pictures you first posted.  It looked to me like there was fine surface pitting.  I think this is also present on the close-ups of the 1901 Carbine rear sight.  These are not deep and not to be messed with.  They give a bit of patina and character.  Because it appears to be a correct carbine and has nice wood, the whole package is attractive.  Because the barrel finish is gone, if this carbine were mine, I would burnish just the barrel with scotch brite pad and fine steel wool.  I'd degrease the barrel surface and apply plum-brown and then several coats of cold-blue over the brown (to just the barrel) gently applying some heat with a propane torch with each coat.  Wipe the barrel with wet rags, dry, and then wipe with oil soaked rags.  I normally only preserve original finish.  But IMHO this carbine would be inhanced with a dull blue finish on the barrel (and it can always be removed).

That's all I have, Is that what patina is? Kind of looks like what my Steyr has (see the last pic), mostly though it's just worn finish but not a spot of rust. If I get the Carbine and I'm not happy with the finish I'd be willing to do a little refinishing project, although it would be a first for me. What grit of steel wool would you recommend, and would that remove the insignia and serial number printed on the receiver? Could I just get the dirt/rust/crud off with steel wool and then hold off with the refinishing?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Now you're getting me in trouble. I said the barrel only.  I'd leave the rest alone.

IP Logged

Lastchip
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I've always been a long gun over carbines, but the inside of that barrel on the rifle would scare me away, certainly so for 700 smackers. I don't know what your criteria for a krag is, but there is cleaner options out there for a couple hundred more. 

I found this fella with a quick search, he has 3 krags for sell starting at 850.00

I spent $800 on the krag 98 rifle I bought a few weeks ago at a show in Connecticut, you can see it from link in my post in this forum, I wanted a clean condition shooter and no wasn't concern about a rifle being all original.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo