Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stacking Swivel? (Read 3032 times)
S.B.
KCA Forum Member

Stacking Swivel?
Jun 11th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Are the stacking swivel screws peened after installation? If so, would I need to replace swivel and screw at the same time? How is this peening done(special tooling)?
And, while I'm at it, to remove the handguard from a 1898 I first remove the rear sight then drop the action out of the stock, then gently push up on the spring clip?
Steve

The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Stacking Swivel?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
S.B. wrote on Jun 11th, 2015 at 1:33pm:
Are the stacking swivel screws peened after installation? If so, would I need to replace swivel and screw at the same time? How is this peening done(special tooling)?
And, while I'm at it, to remove the handguard from a 1898 I first remove the rear sight then drop the action out of the stock, then gently push up on the spring clip?
Steve

NO!! You slide the handguard forward until it comes off without flexing the clips. Oil the barrel if you are worried about scratches. Reverse procedure to reinstall. Some people recommend twisting a nickel and a quarter into the clips of the loose handguard if it is to be off for an extended length of time.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
'S.B.' - (Regarding Krag swivel screws):

From experience and observation, I believe Krag barrel-band and stacking-swivel screw tips were slightly 'mushroomed' after assembly. I imagine a drift punch with a concave face was used to do this.

The disruption of metal is minor. With a proper fitting screwdriver bit and a little oil, I have not found these screws difficult to remove (or re-assemble). I have not had a problem re-using the screws and they seem to stay put, without problem or the need to 're-mushroom' (just leave the old grease in the threads).

photos - Krag swivel screws and 30 cent trick

IP Logged

S.B.
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Thank you, gentlemen.
Steve

IP Logged

S.B.
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Now that I have this apart, seems I can't tell any difference in this stacking swivel and one from a 1903 I've got? Inside hand guard is "Tomos" in what appears to be a silver colored paint also, along the sight cut out. Someone has had this off before, probably how it got cracked.
Steve

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint