Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 .22 Krag (Read 10164 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: .22 Krag
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Does the Springfield made .22 cal. GPR use a standard model 1898 Bolt? Danny's bolt appears to have damage to the bolt face flange.

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The reason I asked about the 1885 extractor is because Numrich has some of the component parts in stock so I was wondering if those pins and springs would be close enough in size to work.

I haven't had a chance to even try and fire the gun, but with the extractor not working there would be no point, right? I would just be left with a stuck case each time I fired?

I would like to get it back to functional if possible, but I will check the bore first when I can, or have someone since that is a bit out of my expertise. I appreciate all of the input

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:30pm:
Does the Springfield made .22 cal. GPR use a standard model 1898 Bolt? Danny's bolt appears to have damage to the bolt face flange.

Yeah other than the damage it seems identical to my 1898 bolts. There is a number 7 stamped onto the square area of the bolt handle which is unusual since most Krag parts weren't serialized.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
The bolts for the GPRs were ordinary Krag bolts, taken from the supply of replacement bolts on hand when the rifles were made, 1907-1909.

The GPR receivers were about the last made, with the highest serial numbers.  IIRC, the Army did not have to pay a royalty on those actions because they were not for service rifles.

The whole story of how the GPRs came about is an interesting story of Army politics, ego mania and a major change (at least in the UK & US) in how soldiers were taught to shoot, with Krags and the soon-to-become National Guard caught in the middle.  Sort of Boeing vs Airbus and the next air refueling tanker writ small.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
If it were mine, I would test fire it as is. Before I spent a lot on gunsmith services.

First check the bore for obstructions and run a few patches through it.  You will need a long 22 caliber cleaning rod.  Most 22 rods are not long enough for a 30 inch barrel. I found mine in a place that sold muzzle-loader supplies.

You can probably extract the fired case with a thin-bladed screwdriver (gently pry under the rim to free the case) and use bent-nose hobby pliers to pull the case clear.  Or you can use the cleaning rod with a flat tipped jag to push the case out.

If you can find a few Aguila 22 rimfires loaded with 60 grain bullets, you can test fire a couple to check the twist.  If the twist is 18", the heavy bullet will hit the target sideways at any distance past 50 yards.  If the bullets hit more or less end-on, you have a 16" twist.

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Looks like a range trip with it will be the next step. It might be awhile before I can make it out to one, but I think the last .22 I saw in stock was Aguila so I got that going at least. Thanks for all the advice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint