Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Krag: What have I got here?? (Read 2912 times)
Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag: What have I got here??
Aug 25th, 2015 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Probably the most common question on here I'm sure...but I hope I can get some help.  (I got a lot last time I asked some questions and it was much appreciated.

My son was given this 1986 Krag the other day and I'm trying to help him ID it....and figure out what's original and what's been added/subtracted/changed/bubba'ed.

Left receiver has Model 1896 and serial number 84109.  (For me that put manufacture in either 1897 or 1898, depending on who's numbers are used.)

No markings on the stock, but oiler and 3-piece cleaning rod found in butt.

Front sight has band and dovetail, not sure about the rear sight, although the "original" may be around according to the fellow my son got the gun from.

Going to try to post pictures.....they are worth 1,000 words.

"Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag: What have I got here??
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Howdy Redcoat, and welcome to the forum!

Looks like you have an 1896 Krag rifle that has been cut down to carbine dimensions.  The front sight is a 1903 Springfield rifle banded front sight, which is common for cutdowns.  The rear sight is a 1901 Krag rifle rear sight, and is installed backwards (the windage adjustment lever should point to the muzzle).  The stock has been cutdown also.  Look for a plug of wood directly under the barrel at the front, which should fill in the lightening channel where the stock is cut.  This would be a nice sporterized Krag that should be good for hunting and fun to shoot!

Hope this helps.
Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
'psteinmayer' pretty much covered it. If the bore is good, your son's model 1896 Krag should be a fun shooter. It got made into a useful 'Hunting Rifle', long ago.

It appears to be missing the Magazine Cut-Off Lever. This is an easy part to find and should cost $15-20. With a model 1896, any of the Krag cut-off levers will work, but, the middle one (in my picture), is the correct one.

(p.s. - FWIW - I think your son's Krag may have a model 1892 side-plate and that the screw is not seated all the way. The earlier side-plates seem to work fine on the model 1896 and may eliminate feed problems).

IP Logged

Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks from both me and my son for all your help.  Now we know what we have....and can make some decisions about what to do with it.

We will definitely redo the stock: take it down to bare wood and then use BirchwoodCasey Tru Oil refinish.  No varnish, just oil.  (As the stock isn't original, I don't feel I'm taking any historic dents or dings from it.  Yes, its got good honest wear, but from either being carried in the woods or just mis-stored.  No history being destroyed here.)

We may, depending on how it cleans up, have it redone, probably in pink cerakot or duracoat.

Okay, so not in pink, more likely black or dark blue....maybe a parkerized type finish, but something to make it look better.  My gunsmith doesn't do bluing...so if I can find someone reliable we may just have it reblued.

I may put a Lyman peep on the back.  My old eyes can use the help and again, as it is nowhere near original, I don't have a problem with resighting.

Again, thanks for your help.

"Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Redcoat3340: Don't be too hasty! The metal and wood finish do not look too bad on your son's 'cut-down' Krag.

U.S. Krags were not 'Blued' to a homogeneous color. The barrels were 'browned', which left a rust-blue finish. Bolt bodies were in the 'white'. The receiver had 'case-hardened' colors. Some small parts were 'blackened'. The long extractor spring was 'flame-blue'.

Most Krag fanciers do not like modern 'blue-black' or alternative metal finishes or sanded True-Oiled Stocks. Such measures destroy all patina and originality (and usefulness of parts for restoration).

IMHO - You may want to just rub the wood with some coats of 50/50 Linseed Oil and Turpentine. Maybe 'Cold-Blue' that shiny 1903 Springfield front-sight and that shiny rear-sight screw.

I advise against having the receiver drilled & tapped for a Lyman peep sight. Old 'No-Drill' Pacific and Redfield sights show up on ebay all the time. (To D&T a receiver is expensive and ruins the receiver for possible restoration).

From my experience, the measures you mentioned would all detract from and lessen the value of your son's Krag. Old War Horses should not look too new and glossy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint