Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 krag feed issues (Read 3191 times)
Msopher117
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 krag feed issues
Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Hi I have a 1898 krag rifle and am having issues chambering rounds from the magazine it jams but will chamber the round if you tap the bolt with your hand . I did replace the stock due to the original being in very bad shape I have been told that if the side plate is loose it will do this I have the screw as tight as it will go but it appears to still be loose. Could this be my problem?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 krag feed issues
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 12:05am
Print Post  
'Msopher117' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The Krag side-plate has to be properly seated or it can cause feed problems.

(Usually an 1898 Krag Action has to be removed from the Stock to fully remove or replace the side-plate, because of the closeness of the Stock in that area).

However, you can try lightly tapping the rear area of your side-plate with a small plastic mallet to see if it seats more fully and then snug up the screw. You can visibly see when the plate is tight against the side of the receiver. The screw should tighten fully, easily.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Are these Spitzer or Round Nosed bullets?  Some Krags seem to have problems feeding Spitzer (pointed) bullets.  Other Krags seem to feed them just fine.  My Krags will feed them, but only if the case is crimped in the bullet cannelure.  Otherwise, the bullet will telescope into the case neck and the case will jam cockeyed in the chamber.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Also, if the magazine cutoff is not in place, the rim of the round being fed can catch in the slot that the cutoff's stud normally resides in.  And, not any sideplate will fit, there are some minor differences in the lip at the front.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Msopher,
There are 2 ways I could interpret the side plate being loose. 1 the screw is not pulling the plate flush with the receiver. (Something is binding and preventing the sideplate from seating, but the screw is bearing on the side plate)
2 the screw is tight but the side plate rattles.
(the screw is bottoming out before it reaches the sideplate.
Each way will have its own fix.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint