Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
 25 Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members (Read 56259 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members
Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Given the fact that this forum is made up totally of members who collect Krag rifles that all shoot .30-40 has there ever been any discussion about a group buy of brass by forum members? I don't know how many members there are but with new brass going for over $2.00 each there has to be a way to get brass at a decent price. Just something I was wondering about.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Not a bad question to ask! 

Midway has reported that Remington is no longer going to produce 30-40 brass for sale and have removed it from the site now (not sure about the ammo since there is still a market for it).  Haven't seen Winchester ammo or brass in a very long time now. 

It might behoove us to collectively start requesting that Privi start producing 30-40 brass.  They already produce .303 British, which ain't too far off from 30-40!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
There are smaller capacity makers to consider.  Quality Cartridge (in Maryland) has produced some odd stuff in the past.  I have 3 boxes of 8.15x46R.  Their website says they will make several odd calibers when they get enough backorders.

Starline have said they won't produce bottleneck cases (too many additional steps in production) but they are supposed to have some sort of .405 Winchester basic case in the works.  The demand is for .40-70 Sharps Straight, which was made from .30-40 Krag cases.  We would need to buy forming dies.

Captech International (used to be Jamison) is also doing something with the .405 Basic case.

I think Quality Cartridge is our best bet.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Agreed

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I sent Quality Cartridge an email.  Let's see what they say...

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
SAAMI chamber and case specs for reference.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) ( 405 KB | 6 Downloads )

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 11:07am:
Not a bad question to ask! 

Midway has reported that Remington is no longer going to produce 30-40 brass for sale and have removed it from the site now (not sure about the ammo since there is still a market for it).  Haven't seen Winchester ammo or brass in a very long time now. 

It might behoove us to collectively start requesting that Privi start producing 30-40 brass.  They already produce .303 British, which ain't too far off from 30-40!

I sent them an email when it was suggested in another thread a few weeks ago.  Not 100% sure I sent it to the right department.  Perhaps if we can get the right email for this we could post it here?
I would be happy to see them make ammo too.  If they do it, the question will be, what type/ weight.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I emailed Winchester yesterday and got a response. It said that they are planning a run later this year and that I should contact my lgs. I sent them another email to say that no online sellers even list .30 krag as it's been out of production for so long, could l preorder from them? Waiting for their reply.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't take much in the way of form dies to make 30-40 from a .405 basic, I've formed a 6mm/30-40 using die bodies you can get from Lee as parts a whole lot cheaper than a form die set.  I think I went down to 35, 8mm, then 30, then 7mm, then 6.5 then 6mm.  From 30 to 6mm it was standard dies, .308, 7-08, 260, then .243, but then we're not talking about making 6mm are we?  From .405 to 35 I think I used a 35 Rem, then a 8mm Lebel, not sure about that, may have been something else, ditto the 35, but I had it figured out at one time without a whole lot of expense.  I'm not the type of fellow keeps my dies organized good enough to go back in the reloading room and figure it out again at the moment, I have a match to shoot tmrw and I'm busy loading.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 10:37am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, here's the email I sent, and the address I sent it to:

abn82d@hotmail.com = Quality Cartridge Company

Howdy!

I represent a large number of shooters and collectors who own U.S Krag rifles and carbines.  Recently, Remington has discontinued production of 30-40 Krag brass and ammo, which leaves a very large void in the market.  I, as do most people with Krags reload, but most of my brass is getting very long in the tooth (some of it with more than 20 reloads, and starting to show cracks in the necks).  Would there be a possibility of your company producing 30-40 Krag (formerly .30 USA) to fill this void in the market?  I'm sure you would have plenty of customers!  What would be the minimum quantity you would need to produce this (I would be good for a couple hundred).

Thanks very much for your time.
Best regards,
Paul Steinmayer

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 12:13am
Print Post  
I got the following response from Quality Cartridge today:

Paul,

We don't currently produce the 30-40 Krag.  We can add you to a list if you like and advise if/when this becomes available.  Our minimum combined run for this would be approx. 10,000 pieces and time to get tooling is approx. 18 months.  Provide us with all you contact info and we will let you know if/when we decide to run this.  If you have any questions, we will be more than happy to help,

Thank you,

Pete at Quality Cartridge

SC

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
IMHO, you've been (politely) told to bugger off. They're clearly not interested. I can probably understand the 10,000 rounds, but the 18 months for tooling is just plain insulting. IF they really wanted to make the effort, I'd think 18 days would not be impossible, given today's machining capabilities, especially if they currently make .303 British.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I agree.  When I checked their products, they only produce odd-ball calibers, with the exception of 30-06 and .303.  I was just a little offended with the curtness of their reply! 

When I have a little more time, I'm going to write Privi and Remington too.  I read somewhere that Remington is still producing 30-40 (regardless of what Midway said), and they are still planning a seasonal run for this fall.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Any trouble with cases made from 303Brit?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Reformed .303 is ok to use... but the case will definitely be shorter, and won't have the proper head stamp (not a problem if you don't shoot .303... i.e. wrong round for the wrong gun).  I would just rather have the right stuff to begin with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint