Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 1892 Krag Rifle Identification (Read 13254 times)
Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1892 Krag Rifle Identification
Apr 26th, 2016 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Good day,

I am new to this site and thought you could help me in my search for more historical background on the rifle I just purchased. I just picked up an early 3 digit 92' Krag that was updated to the 96' configuration other than the hand guard. The serial number is 309 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where this weapon may have been issued? I have a friend that was thinking it may have been a Ft. Spokane or Ft. Sherman gun. Any background on this rifle would be much appreciated. I'm absolutely in love with this rifle and am excited to learn more on its history. Cheers!

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1892 Krag Rifle Identification
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 4:56am
Print Post  
A friend of mine was able to trace a very close serial number of 314 to the 17th Infantry and was issued on 5/15/1897. From my research it looks like the headquarters would have been in Fort Totten in Bayside New York up until May 24th 1897. Not sure if serial number 309 would have went to the same spot as 314 but any help beyond this would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Good morning.  Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!  Beware, Krags are addicting, and tend to multiply...

Congratulations on your Krag.  Please post some pictures so we can see it and give helpful advice.  You'll have to reduce your file size to post the pics, so please be aware of that.  Not all Krags show up in the records, and Krags were not assembled in sequential order (parts were placed in bins on the assembly line), so 314 and 309 may not have wound up in the same place.  Also, most Krags underwent at least one arsenal rebuild or upgrade in it's life, so being updated to 1896 configuration is not uncommon.  That said, sounds like you have a great rifle there...

Paul

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for the kind welcome Paul! I'm excited to be a part of this forum. The multiplying has already begun as this is my second Krag! Smiley My other rifle is an 1898 Rifle from 1901 with the 1901 rear sight. My new rifle is currently on its way from Georgia and as soon as I get it I will post some more detailed photos. In the interim I will see if I can pull some photos from the original listing. Cheers

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Here are some photos from the listing.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Photos continued...

YouTube  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Looks amazing!  Do you know if it has the cleaning rod channel filled in under the barrel?  Should be able to spot the filler wood if it does.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I asked the manager of the business about 100 questions on the rifle and that was one of them. He looked at the end of the stock for me and I'm not sure he knew what he was looking for. I had told him to look for wood filler and a slight difference in color from a plugged hole. That has been my only concern on the rifle as the date on the left wrist of the stock is not present. So Im a little worried it may not be the original plugged 92 stock. Though I am feeling pretty good about it because it still has the early hand guard and the wood coloration matchs well. Thanks for the kind words about the rifle as well Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
If it's a field replacement stock, it's more likely than not that it won't have a cartouche or proof mark (my 98 doesn't either).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Jeremy - That is a very nice looking Krag and "Welcome!" to the KCA Forum.

I believe your Krag's Stock is Armory replaced, because of the 're-curve' of the Butt-Plate 'toe' and the shape of your Stock's Comb and Wrist area. (The original stock would have had a Flat Butt-Plate without a 'Trap' and a Thin Wrist).

Your Bolt has a model 1892 Bolt-Sleeve & safety with the 'thread like' ribs at the rear of the sleeve. You have the up-dated extractor with its 'hold open' pin, the extractor is held on by a rivet (rather than a screw), your receiver is notched for the 'hold open' pin.

You have a very nice early Krag that was legitimately updated.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Looks like a "thin wrist" stock to me. Key feature is that the wrist gets visibly thinner from tang to comb, unlike later versions with more constant circumference. This causes the comb nose to appear significantly higher.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I have a dim recollection that the 1896 alterations included re-shaping the butt for the curved-toe plate. Wrong?

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. These were all the pics I had to go off of too and I was thinking it looked like a "thin wrist" to me as well. But these photos are really not very high quality. That is great news about the Bolt! Are we allowed to discuss what I paid for it in this forum based on rules? I am kind of curious what you guys would think of what I paid for it?

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
The only proof on the stock is the circle P on the underside of the wrist.

YouTube  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
'Parashooter' is correct about the wrist being thin.

(The Stock is also likely to have a filled clearing-rod channel).

This is probably the last 'type' of 'thin-wrist stock' with storage for a three section cleaning-rod in the Butt.

It appears there is a 'circle P' function proof mark on the bottom of the wrist. (IIRC - This suggests Armory rather than Field replacement. Since this Krag had already been 'Accepted' earlier, the Armory would not have put an 'acceptance cartouche' on a replacement stock, but, did check and mark it for function proof).

(I suspect the 'curved butt-plate Stock' must be a later replacement, given the rifle's very early serial number).

Definitely a Krag with a neat story!

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you butlersrangers! I saw this rifle and was drawn to it immediately. I did not have any intention of buying another Krag right now but using my splendid negotiating powers I was able to talk them down from $2,499 to $1690. Thoughts on $1,690 for this rifle?

YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint