Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 1892 Krag Rifle Identification (Read 13256 times)
Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: 1892 Krag Rifle Identification
Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Civil discussion of prices is always welcome!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
You bought a very nice Krag and it is probably worth that amount.

FWIW - I am a 'bottom feeder' and get the most fun out of $300-500 guns.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Thank you Ned for the heads up. Being new I didn't want to violate any rules and or upset anyone. I have a bit of a savior complex, lol. When I buy the rough ones or sporterized ones I always end up spending a fortune on trying to get them back to full military! LOL. Thanks for the kind words butler.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Jeremy T Garner wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:58pm:
. . .Thoughts on $1,690 for this rifle?

Ouch!?

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Bummer, I thought it worth that. It's the 3rd lowest serial number for sale I've ever seen. A few books I have for collecting put an excellent gun at close to $1800. What would you value it at?

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Oh well I got a great buy on my 1898 rifle for 600 out the door in full military with a sling. I can't complain too much. I under paid for one and over paid for one lol! It all evens out I suppose

YouTube  
IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 7:26am
Print Post  
A Model '92 in original condition can be a high-value item. One that's had the '96 alterations generates about the same market interest as a common Model '96. A low serial is cool, but few buyers will pay more.

Just my opinion. If you're happy with the purchase, that's all you need!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Agreed.  In the end, a Krag is always worth what someone is willing to pay.  You have a beautiful low-numbered Krag there... now go get ready to shoot it in the Roosevelt Match!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #23 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
In my opinion, you did not overpay for a low three-digit specimen. That's a very nice rifle, even if altered. Now, you didn't get a steal, either, as that is pretty much full current high-retail, and you were wise to hammer the seller as $2499 would have been too much!

Will be interested to see if the stock has a rod channel filler (I'm betting it will) but the flat butt with no trap will only be found on unaltered stocks. The late 1892s (like my 20196, which was never altered) had the curved plate from new, but no trap. This "intermediate" butt-plate style (also used on the fabled Cadet rifles) is not often seen.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you guys! And thank you Mr. Hosmer. A friend of mine named Brock who is both on this site and jouster speaks very highly of you! I knew I didn't steal it by any means lol! But 2499 was insane and they had sat on the rifle for nearly 2 years and for some reason that early serial number and how clean the rifle was made me want it pretty badly. As my same friend Brock says, "I didn't overpay...I bought too early" Wink

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Fed Ex had tried to deliver my rifle yesterday but my wife was out shopping for our 4 month old and I was at work. Should have a few more additional photos on Monday.

YouTube  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to them!  By the way, I sent you an email on the Roosevelt Match.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:39am
Print Post  
I just read that actually! I spent most of the day sorting through a 500 plus firearm collection so I've been a little busy. I really want to attend! I've actually began some preliminary load development for it as well. Any tips on what worked well for your rifles? I really want to use a 220 gr projectile. Thoughts on a cast lead bullet instead of the Hornady 220gr SP? I really am wanting to create something as close to the original .30 Army loading. Unless of course you have a recommendation that would perform better at longer distances?

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - May 2nd, 2016 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Lol, well I answered my own query by reading in the reloading section of the forum! Go figure... I must have ate too many paint chips as a kid Wink I actually also saw your review on Midway in regards to it as well.  I will follow your loading of the Hornady 220 RN SP with 40gr of IMR 4350 (CCI Magnum primer). I considered the Sierra Pro Hunter as well based on the G1 BC being marginally better by a mere .010 (.310 to .300). However based on your success with that load I will be using it as well now. What to you set the Overall length to 3.00? I've seen guys go anywhere from 3.00 to 3.08 depending on the loading manual.

YouTube  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - May 2nd, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
If you use the Hornady 220 gr RN (or the Sierra for that matter), set the bullet depth to the cannelure and you'll have the proper standard length.  Be sure to trim your brass to the correct length (I use a LEE 30-40 Krag case length trimmer here... pretty much fool proof). 

Just a word though about trying to duplicate other's successes... not all Krags like the same food.  The standard 220 gr RN/40.0 grains of 4350 is the go-to round... but many other shooters have great success with other loads.  If the standard load works well for you, then stick with it, but you may find that your Krag likes a different bullet than mine, and that's ok too!  Most of us find success by trial and error with our Krags.  I've tried many different rounds in my 98, but ultimately, I'm stubborn... and I DO like shooting the 220 because it does work well for me.  LOL

As far as cast goes, there are others that can speak volumes in that regards.  I do shoot cast out of my cutoff sporter, and I get incredible results, but the bullets are actually provided to me by Bob (Madsenshooter), who got me started shooting cast.  I use that Krag for benchrest Cast Boolit matches.  Bob is a great source of info for Cast shooting!

I look forward to shooting with you this summer, and I'll look for your email and provide you more info on the match there.

Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint