Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1899 Carbine learning experience (Read 1785 times)
Jthompson3393
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Carbine learning experience
Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Hello, I posted about this carbine a few months ago under "New member/ SRS check" I now have better pictures of it and a little better understanding of what I've gotten myself into. I'm hoping to make this beat up, rusty gun look a little better and have a learning experience while I'm at it.

I'll start with the bad:
The front sight looks like someone replaced it with a piece of sheet metal as it's the only shiny part of the whole gun.
The stock has a crack in it that appears to have been worked on in the past.
The rear screw in the trigger guard is stuck and partially stripped and it looks like someone sprayed it with something to attempt to loosen it and stained the wood around it black.
There is rust all over the metal parts, mostly surface rust but heavier in some areas.
The hand guard is missing.

The Good:
All the moving parts seem to work properly.
The rear sight appears to be correct.
Faint 1900 cartouche can still be seen.
It was cheap.

It looks like it will never be a pristine collector's piece but maybe some day I can shoot it and show it off to friends. Any Advice or observations would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Pictures: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine learning experience
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Howdy!  Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Well, you ain't kidding about being rough and rusty!  Looks like it spent a lot of time sitting in some damp ole barn.  Going to take a lot of work to clean this up, but it would be worth it! 

Now, what I don't understand is... it appears as though someone added a piece to the top of the stock to add a half inch of height to it.  I'm not sure why someone would do that other than to give a little added support to the cheek when shooting.  Hmmmmmmmm

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine learning experience
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
'jthompson3393' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The 'jammed' rear receiver screw will probably require you to center punch and carefully drill into the screw head (with progressively larger diameter drills) until the head separates from its shank. You will then be able to pull the stock off the remaining screw-shank. You can then use 'Liquid-Wrench' and Grip-Vice Pliers to unscrew the bolt shank from the receiver. Krag 'trigger-guard' screws are commonly available.

Attached is a recipe for a useful method of removing surface rust and leaving a nice patina.

The edge of a copper penny is also a good tool to smooth rust scale into a pleasing finish. #0000 Steel Wool or a patch of green Scotch-Brite pad, saturated with Hoppes#9 or penetrating oil can break down heavier rust deposits.

A bronze brush and oil is effective on heavy rust scale and pits.

Go slow, use light pressure, and try to preserve the finish that is usually under the rust.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint