Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Update Reloading frustrations (Read 17654 times)
RedLeg0811
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Update Reloading frustrations
Dec 26th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I have a carbine with a rifle barrel cut down. Some of you helped me identify what I had. Thanks

I am now trying to reload for it. The problem I feel is the shoulder. I have some reloads for this carbine from the guy I got it from and they will not load. I have a factory round that loads just fine. I resized some old (60s- 70s ) brass both Win and Rem (not sure what rifle they were shot from). Casing length in spec, but the bolt will not close. the start of the shoulder should be .500s, these are 700s. I have RCBS FL dies, so I am not sure what the deal is?
Do I need to aneal the brass to get the shoulder moved back?

I am also going to cast the chamber for GP.

Thanks
Martin
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2017 at 6:22pm by RedLeg0811 »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Reloading frustrations
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Are we talking in terms of brass or loaded rounds?

Ok, so my first question is did you load any of these?  It sounds like they are not loaded for 30-40 if the shoulder is not correct.  If these are rounds that were loaded by someone else, then I would break them down and resize the cases.  (I'm just not that trusting when it's my life on the line, and I KNOW what I am putting into a case... but I never trust ammo from someone I don't really know).

If your talking in terms of cases that you sized and still won't chamber because of the shoulder, then you might not have your sizing die set up correctly.  It's not unheard of... but it may explain the shoulder being located too far forward.

Annealing the case necks is always a good idea to save on case neck wear and tear over several reloadings.  Also, after you've sized, loaded and fired your rounds, you should neck-size only as the case is now fire-formed to the chamber. 

If possible, post a couple pictures showing one next to a factory round.

IP Logged

RedLeg0811
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
There is both I first noticed this when I went to test the fit some 220 grain rounds that my friend  reloaded. I then went on to try a used casing and it didn't fit. I've then resized and made sure that the length of the casing was alright and it still doesn't fit with the shoulder. I put sharpie around the shoulder and was able to see that it was rubbing right at the beginning of the shoulder. Since the die was not fully forming the cartridge, I pulled the stem so I can fully seat into it without any obstruction. The start of the shoulder was still the same.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I'm confused - you say the guy who sold you the gun also sold you some reloads for it? What does HE say about why they will not chamber? Any chance of the cases having been - at some point - run through .303 British dies, or fireformed in some wildcat? Offbeat guesses to be sure, but your story is puzzling.

IP Logged

RedLeg0811
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
There was 20 rounds that came with the carbine. He reload them long ago it's a family friend. I don't think he ever got a chance to shoot the carbine unless it was factory rounds. Factory rounds will load in the carbine.

The other empty casings that I have we're given to me from a friend that's passed away. I am not sure what they were shot in, but I think it had a loose chamber.

The dies have are full length dies. I have resize the casings but they still do not chamber. These are without bullets that I am trying to chamber. Bolt moves down 1/4" for lock up and then stops.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Can you screw the sizing die down any further into your press, or are you already (almost) touching the shell holder? I assume that - if you have a modern press that you are using a button shell-holder (my old Pacific Jr. has a dedicated shell-holder machined into the ram itself) so is there any chance it is for another caliber? Any chance your dies are mismarked? Do you know anyone else who loads for Krag with whom you can compare dies? In other words, can you shove your wrongly sized cases into another die, or do they hang up as with your rifle?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you might have something in your chamber.  Or you might have some cases that were shot in a 30-40 improved chamber.  Let me see if I got it straight.  Factory rounds will chamber, sized down cases will not.  If they won't go, they have to be bigger than they're supposed to be.  But unless the die is cut long, or you're not running them all the way into the die, full length sizing should take of it.  If the cases are already bigger than they should be, they may have been fired in a 30-40 improved chamber.  Even if so, full length sizing should fix it, but it would require a bit more force than usual, and perhaps some sizing die wax.  This is a hard one without some hands on checking of things!  Pic of a case that will chamber beside one that won't may be of help.

I have ran into a few rifles that were tightly chambered.  Not done by the Armory, but by someone else over the years.  Rental of a chamber reamer will fix that.  One that was short I could chamber a round, but it was pushing the shoulder back on an already full length sized case.  My reamer took care of that and it's now the same length as the rest of my rifles.  Oh, and make sure your FL die is not marked 30-40AI, the AI standing for Ackley Improved.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
The usual source of such problems is insufficient sizing resulting from a failure to compensate for press flex under load. Examine die/shellholder gap when sizing a case. If gap is present, die can be adjusted farther down.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

See (You need to Login to view media files and links)

If gap under load is eliminated and cases still will not chamber, upper surface of shellholder can be stoned or sanded thinner to allow case to enter die farther.

Before trying any of this, measure rim thickness of problem cases. If it's greater than .064" (and your rifle has good, tight headspace) the problem may not be at the shoulder.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
If the factory rounds chamber and you are confident that everything is safe (remove bolt and look through the chamber), try firing a single round (or maybe 2 or 3) and compare the cases.  There were many who "improved" the Krag case over the years, not just Ackley.

Look carefully at the markings on your FL die.  Might it be a Neck Sizing die?  Make sure you have the right shell holder.  Make some careful measurements of the fired & resized cases.

If you are like me and have one of those ancient presses (Pacific or Herters) that Mr. Hosmer described, RCBS sells an adapter or replacement kit ($12.50, IIRC) that brings it up to date, +/-.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
The idea of an improved chamber has been mentioned. Could the dies been improved and not marked? If so you will be chasing your tail till you get correct dies.

Also on my 35 caliber sporter I had a similar problem mine turned out to to be an undersize chamber mostly near the rim. Factory cases could just barely chamber but cases that had been correctly resized would not. Chances of having an undersized original chamber are remote. Mine was cut with a defective reamer that the reamer manufacturer replaced.

IP Logged

RedLeg0811
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 5:21am
Print Post  
I think I found the problem. Someone mentioned the shell holder. I will have to figure out which one I have as it is not marked. I need a #7.

I will try that and report back.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Is that a RCBS or Redding number?  For LEE and Hornady, it's a #5.  Now I'm curious...

IP Logged

RedLeg0811
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Well crap. I have the #5 Hornady.

Yes the#7 is RCBS. The RCBS dies don't Say anything about improved. I wouldn't doubt that the casing were shop in an improved or sloppy chamber.

I will get pictures Wed.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 6:55am
Print Post  
If a F.L. sizer die is properly made, adjusted, and used with a normal shellholder and adequate lube, it will size cases back to normal spec regardless of them having been fired in an oversized chamber. Barking up that tree ain't going to git nothin'.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
This is shapin' up to be a real By-God Mystery!

Did you purchase the die new or receive it from someone... and if you did receive it from someone, is it possible that someone modified the die to move the shoulder location?  Perhaps ordering a new die set from LEE (should run about $36 for the Pacesetter set at Midway) would provide the answer.  LEE is about the easiest on the ole wallet... and IMHO just as good as anything else!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint