Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 mounting the sight (Read 19920 times)
toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

mounting the sight
Mar 1st, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Hi all , this is my first post here so bare with me ....i dont know anything about these Krags BUT ive had one hanging on the wall here for over 40 years as a wall hanger . something made me get down a few days ago , it was missing a few parts like the sight . so i found one on ebay a 1902 version , says it fits all models ( mine is a model 1898 ) the sight comes and i only see one way to attach it , the screws wont lline up if i turn it around , but now im told i have it on backwards .... i dont see how to turn it around ???  what am i missing here ?

im having grief adding a photo

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: mounting the sight
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Howdy, and welcome to the forum!

There are several models of Krag rear sights, and the hand guards are unique to the sights.  The 1902 sight shares the same hand guard as the 1898 sight.  The sight is installed with the sight piece and windage knob towards the rear.  I suspect if it will only line up reversed and still doesn't really fit the hand guard properly (no gaps around the base of the sight), then you have a 1901 hand guard.  You'll need to either find a 1902 hand guard, or a 1901 rear sight.  There is a photo page on the parent web sight which has pictures of the various rear sights and associated hand guards:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
thanks for your reply , it makes sense to me . i need a different sight or hand guard ...... thats a set back LOL

still working on posting a picture , i have photobucket and a postimage account but it keeps telling me my photo file it to big to post em here ...

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 12:33am
Print Post  
i have been trying everything i can think of to post a picture here , are there some simple directions for Dummies like me ? a picture is worth a thousands words and would show you my problem much better than i can explain as i just dont know my Krags well enough .

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I keep my photos on my computer's hard-drive in 'pictures' and 'documents'.

I edit them with Microsoft Office 2010. When I wish to use a photo on a KCA post, I compress the photo with 'Microsoft Office' selecting 'for 'documents' (this usually reduces picture to 100KB or less).

Remember, Maximum picture size for KCA site is 768KB.

When posting a reply on KCA, there is a 'browse button' toward the bottom of the window. If I 'click' on the 'browse button', it takes me to 'pictures' or 'documents'.

I 'click' on the picture I want. I then 'click' on the 'Open' button at the bottom. The picture is attached to my post.

Multiple pictures? 'Click' on the 'downward arrow' behind 'attachments' at the left in your post window. Another 'Browse button will appear.

(Attached pictures show 1902 Krag sight with 1898/1902 hand-guard, and an 1898/1902 hand-guard, with sight leaf swung forward to show sight-base opening ).

As 'Psteinmayer' said, different Krag sight models have specific hand-guards AND ALSO specific mounting screws. It is easier and cheaper to find a loose sight than hand-guard.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017 at 3:05am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Krag 1901 sight & screws, 1901 hand-guard showing opening, and mounted 1901 sight (carbine) and 1901 hand-guard.

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
WOW thanks a BUNCH !!! you guys are very helpful here . you have shown me my answer very well with these pics !!! i see microsoft office 10 on my puter but when i click it it wants 69 dollars to use it Sad i believe this Krag here is a carbine and not a cut down rifle ..... are the carbine sights any different from the rifle sights besides the "C" stamp to make up for the shorter barrel ?... i have my eye on a 1901 ebay sight but dont want to screw up again !!! in the mean time ill keep working on getting picture up ....

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
If you provide your serial number, we can make a pretty good estimate as to whether it is a real carbine. Only about 5000 are marked "Model 1898" and they occur in a fairly tight area. Yes, carbine sights are graduated differently, and marked with a "C". They are usually also more expensive, so no need to buy one for a cutdown.

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
thanks again , i figured the sight had to some how be different for the carbine . the serial number here is 231299 ?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
'toucanman' - BTW, Welcome to the KCA Forum. (Sorry, I forgot my manners).

Your Model 1898 Krag, #231299, most likely is a 'cut-down' rifle.

It is outside the number range for the model 1898 carbines, (between approximately #117,536 to #133,791).

Like Dick said, only 5,000 model 1898 carbines were made. They are mixed, in the above number range, with lots of model 1898 rifles.

Your Krag was probably built around October or November of 1899. The model 1899 carbine was adopted and being manufactured by that time.

Model 1899 carbines are stamped "Model 1899" and start at around #225,000. Lots of model 1899 carbines had been produced by the time your Krag was made.

It would be interesting to see pictures of your Krag.

Where are your photos stored on your computer?

'Click' on 'Reply' at the bottom of this page. That takes you to the 'post a message window' on the KCA site, 'click' on the 'Browse' button, this should take you to 'libraries' on your computer where your photos are stored. 'Open' a photo and its name should appear next to the Browse Button. It is now attached to your Post. 

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
There are numerous websites that will resize photos if you don't have the software to do it locally.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) seems easy and quick.

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
testing , thanks for help ,  lets see if that resizer link worked for me ? had a friend who is very familiar with the Krag ( retired gun store owner ) come over yesterday and went over it for me , found out i had a broken magazine follower spring ( bought one off ebay yesterday ) he checked the head space and gave me a box of shells he reloaded at 190 grains and said im good to go  after replacing that spring ........am i silly in wanting actually shoot this this old gun ?

this photo shows the backwards 1902 sight < i have a 1901 sight coming in the mail Smiley its not a carbine sight but a rifle sight .

Oh , he said it is a carbine and wants to buy it off me should i ever decide to do that , he made a pretty nice offer i think , waaaay more than i paid for it 40 years ago Smiley

the bolt assembly seen here was very tight and he swapped it with one he had that is much smoother and easier to use . not knowing much here i asked why he wanted to trade ? he said cuz the gun it came from doesnt work and he just wanted to help get mine in working condition , the other one looked like new , but this one has some patina and matches the look of the other parts much better . now that i can post pictures ill get a pic of the new bolt assembly today , this one he said is a later one as it says Ready or safe on the lever .......Steve
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2017 at 6:06pm by toucanman »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
'toucanman' - I can't tell much from your photo because it lacks detail and clarity. 

Your stock is a 'long forearm' carbine stock, that was adopted in 1899. Your barrel-band is the carbine band that was used with this stock.

Your hand-guard appears to be for the 1901 sight. This hand-guard was used on Krag rifles, and initially on carbines, with the 1901 sight.

Later, a 'humped' hand-guard was adopted, to protect the carbine rear-sight from being damaged in the saddle scabbard.

Of greatest interest, would be a close, clear, and detailed picture of your front-sight and barrel muzzle crown.

Such a photo allows most of us to identify a carbine barrel from a cut-down rifle barrel.

Close-ups of the receiver markings would also help.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
'toucanman'/Steve - I don't want to rock your friendship with your retired pal, but, it sounds like he put a 1903 Springfield 'Safety-Lever' on your Krag!

I don't even think that will work, unless it has been modified.

Krag Safety-Levers have no 'Ready' or 'Safe' marking - regardless of period of manufacture.

(FYI Photo: 1903 safety on left, Krag safety on right).

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
toucanman wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 4:06pm:
testing . . . lets see if that resizer link worked for me ? . . .

It worked too well. Try setting the "New size" field to 800 width instead of taking the default size.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint