Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 mounting the sight (Read 19918 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: mounting the sight
Reply #15 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Steve, just so you know, how a correct Krag 'Safety' operates.

photo #1. Krag 'Safety-Lever' is in the Fire position - The tip of the safety's shaft is visible in its machined recess in the bolt-collar. The bolt can be opened. The striker-rod is free to move forward, when the trigger is pulled. There is a clearance cut, for the striker-rod, on the Safety-Lever.

photo #2. The Krag 'Safety-Lever' is in the Safe position - The tip of the safety's shaft is exposed. The shaft would be locked into a notch on the bolt-body. This prevents the bolt from being opened.

photo #3. The Krag 'Safety-Lever' is in the Safe position - The rear of the 'Safety-Lever' engages a shoulder on the Cocking-Piece. This prevents the striker mechanism from moving forward.

(Note - There are no 'markings' on the Krag Safety-Lever).

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
more pics

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
im trying to make em bigger .

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
front sight

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
FWIW - That front-sight base looks mounted funny to me.

It seems to be setting high and not dovetailed and blended in to the barrel metal, as Springfield Arsenal did them.

Maybe it's just the lighting???

(Please read what I posted about the Krag Safety-Lever).
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:58pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
yes , i read your post about the Krag safety butlersrangers  and appreciate all the help i can get , i have a lot to learn here !!! im kinda disapointed about the bolt stock trade if its not an actual Krag bolt , they looked the same other than the safe n ready stamping . i can probobly get the other one back but the truth is it was very tight and hard to get in , this one goes in very easy .... im stupid here this is my first vintage gun , i have  couple modern guns but i never had to repair or replace anything before . with these krags there are a lot of choices to be made some right others not so much  as im finding out . my friend offered me 1200 for it and i said ill think about it and let him know .

im not a very good photographer , im just using my cellphone , i think i need better lighting conditions .

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
A 1903 Springfield bolt will not fit into a Krag receiver.

A 1903 Springfield safety-lever can probably be adapted to a Krag bolt-sleeve. Whether it can be made to safely function, is another matter.

(IMHO - Your friend's offer, of $1,200 for this Krag, is a lot more money, than it is probably worth).
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017 at 12:00am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
toucanman, your handguard is for a 1901 sight, as mentioned, and the front blade is a low one, for the 1892 or 96 sight.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
For enquiring Minds:

A 'Khyber Pass Gun-Smith' could probably re-work a 1903 Springfield Safety to function with a Krag bolt-sleeve and Striker-rod.

However, the 1903 Springfield and Krag Safeties are very different in the dimensions and surfaces of the shaft attached to the lever.

The 'Safe' and 'Ready' markings only appear on the 1903 and 1903-A3 Safeties. If such markings appear on a Krag Bolt, the Safety has been 'Jury-Rigged'.

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
your right its been jury rigged , i took the whole gun apart today , cleaned each piece and i could see a lot of tooling "fix" marks on that SAFE lever piece but the feature does work smoothly ???. i think i want my old part back , Frig , i let him get the better of me , on the other hand by taking it all apart and individually cleaning each piece one by one , oiling em down  , blowing em off , lin seeding the stock and putting it back together i kinda fell it love with its simplicity , a little jig saw puzle , pretty easy to take completely down , even by a dummy like me Smiley i LIKE IT !!!......... i purchased the broken magazine spring from movieman and have a sight  in the mail , so im in " hurry up n wait " mode for those .....

now i think the most significant thing i noticed  to help those confirm or deny " im still on the fence " wether its a true carbine or not , or a cut down model , when oiling the stock i noticed a small PLUG type repair in the very front of the stock , not in the center but off to one side a little bit , im still new to all this but it made me wonder as i has seen some rifle stocks that held a cleaning rod or something in a similar way , it just caught my eye as odd enough to mention ..... i know pictures are needed , and ill get some for ya
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:59am by toucanman »  

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 12:43am
Print Post  
i have a brain fart , i shrunk the pics and downloaded em but now i cant find em Smiley i promise ill figure it out !!!

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
i think i found my pics Smiley ill get a couple close ups of that stock plug and the safe tooling marks in a bit .

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
OK , here is a look at the stock , looks like some kind of a plug to me , what do you know here ? you can see the grain doesnt match up .

and the good news is i am getting my other bolt assembly back with the factory Krag safety lever Smiley  so no more worries there .

as a newby , i dont know the proper etiquette if i should make a thread for each issue or just keep all my questions in this one thread ? as i know im all over the board here ,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint