Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
 25 mounting the sight (Read 19921 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: mounting the sight
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I haven't seen a repair, quite like that one, before.

You definitely have a Springfield Armory made U.S. model 1899 carbine stock. (It is not a 'cut-down' rifle stock).

Possibly, a natural knot 'popped' out of the forearm tip and was plugged?

Maybe someone screwed an ugly commercial sling-swivel on to the stock and the hole was later repaired? (Look for a similar plug in the toe of the butt).

I don't think Springfield Armory did the 'patch'.

'toucanman' - When you have a chance, please take an equally clear picture of your front-sight base and muzzle crown.

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
every once in a wile a good clear photo .

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
not sure if this one is good enough ? it makes the sight look off center but its not , its just the angle of the dangle .....steve

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
'toucanman' - Excellent job with the latest pictures.

You do not have a Krag carbine barrel.

Your photo reveals an original Krag front-sight base, that has been neatly attached to a shortened Krag rifle barrel. But, it's not quite right.

Springfield Armory had a neat and distinctive method of 'blending' the sight-base and barrel.

Photo taken by 'Parashooter' reveals the craftsmanship:

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
OK thanks for the keen eye to details like that for me . so its something thats been put together . i have been making a list of the parts and the years of the parts used . 

so will it shoot just like the stock carbine and or function just the same ?  same amount of fun ? LOL

any help to my list would appreciated . i fell it love with it yesterday when i had it all apart , bought a set of those movieman cleaning rods n oiler can . found out the ejector pin used was just a cut off nail so i ordered one of those as well . i want it as complete n nice as i can get it for what it is .... might be a newby mistake to spend money on it , but as i recall way back when i paid 60 or 80 dollars for it , so i still have under 300 in it today .... i think it has the potentiol for a lot of fun . i been showing off to some friends n neighbors ..... i might have been bitten by the Krag Bug ???

model 1898 made in year 1900 and shortened
1901 handguard
1901 rifle sight coming soon
99 carbine stock
99 carbine stock band

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Krags are fun. It should shoot just fine with no fear of hurting a Museum Piece!

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #36 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
OK , i got the 1901 sight in todays mail Smiley have it installed but now im not exactly sure how to use it , in the ladder down position i can see how to use it , but in ladder up you have the sight notch above and a peep hole bellow , not sure witch one to use ? i have ordered a Krag book that may have that info but its not here yet . at least i dont have a backwards sight mounted anymore Smiley

maybe you turn it over if you want a peep hole or leave it for the notch ? sorry if i ask silly newby questions .

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #37 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Except beyond 1800 yards, notch or peep is a matter of personal preference, depending on target, lighting, visibility, eyesight, etc.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #38 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
The 'long version' from 1917 Ordnance Manual:

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #39 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
thank you VERY MUCH !!! ill read this over and get the hang of it .

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #40 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
More 1901 Rifle Sight trivia:

1. With the leaf down, the eye piece could be set from 100 to 400 yards.

The "B" mark, (at 375 yards), was the "Battle Sight" elevation.

(When using the Battle Sight setting, if aimed at the 'belt buckle' of a standing enemy, the trajectory of the .30-40 round could score a likely hit, from point blank to 400 yards).

2. The eye piece (both "V" notches and the "peep") moves slowly to the left, as the eye piece is moved up the leaf. This is the built in correction for bullet drift.

(The carbine 1901 sight did not require this correction).

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #41 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
lots of good technical info there butlersrangers , by my thinking i doubt ill be using the ladder in the up position , i cant hardly see past 400 yards ........incidently , i had showed the Krag to my neighbor a few days ago , he tells me someone had left a small rifle in the closet of his rental house after they moved out .... yesterday he shown is to me , at first i thought it was single shot 22 , but its a stevens savage 410 single shot  . i showed interest and he said here take it home for a wile , i asked if he wanted to sell it and he said ya , but didnt come up with a price at least not yet .... im gona clean it up for him and see where it leads .......when i was younger i had seen a similar one but it was a combination .22 and 410 over and under , it looked pretty similar to this ........ is this how it starts LOL

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #42 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Yes. You are infected. You're gonna get it bad!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #43 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 5:15pm:
Yes. You are infected. You're gonna get it bad!

No doubt about that... and where rifles/guns, and especially Krags are concerned, Once Bitten is NEVER Twice Shy!!!

IP Logged

toucanman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #44 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
OK , next issue here ,  i got the magazine spring in the mail today as well as my old bolt assembly back from my friend .... i get the spring in by pushing down on the cover enough to collapse the spring and got the gate hinge pin in . i put the bolt in by its self and can feel just a bit of slack , put the completed bolt assemby in and there doest feel like much slack at all ?

im just testing the action within now with the new spring and can see how it would push the cartridges in to place , so i throw one in  but it wont cycle thru , the bolt doesnt pick it up , when i flip the magazine selector lever up then it would cycle a round . trust me i was a bit nervous but also very careful doing this but dont know how else one gets to check things out and learn anything ...... so i think a few steps closer to shooting it ? now this leads me the head space i hear everyone talk about , my friend just used one and then two shims on top of a cartridge and said it its fine BUT that was with the bolt i traded back to him ( sure didnt seem like a very scientific or accurate test to me )  so can i buy a set of these gauges and test this myself ? i saw some for sale on a gun parts site but i want to make sure i get the right gauges ??? or determine if i need professional help here ... i have done a search here and read some threads on this (You need to Login to view media files and links)

by the way i cleaned up the Stevens .410 today and it looks a lot nicer , i think the neighbor will be impressed !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint