Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 OK now the fun begins, forearm repair (Read 10392 times)
Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: OK now the fun begins, forearm repair
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I used one of Mr. Price's fore ends myself with the flush method and it worked like a champ. I was able to get a good solid join with pins, a big clamp and acra-glass gel. Now that it's all together I've fired a few hundred rounds with no issues and the only giveaway it's a repair job is the slightly different grain of the wood between the butt stock and replacement fore end. 

Stretch

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Can anyone refer me to a tested source of forends other than Mr. Price?  I have had a couple of verbal run-ins with him over some really BAD stuff he has offered on Gunbroker, with, insultingly, "no questions answered and no returns accepted". In short, I would not pee on him if he was on fire.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
East Taylor Dick, I'm fairly certain S&S buys from them too.  (You need to Login to view media files and links); I've not used their forearms.  I did get one from Dunlap Woodcafts in European walnut.  It is going to take a lot of sanding to get the extra they left me down to size.

IP Logged

Artemus
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I am pleased with the forearm joint.  The stain and BLO matched up well with 100+ years of oiled stock. All I have left is the pin for the barrel band.   I'll post a full assembly later.  Thank you to all that weighed in to help me.  Another Krag rifle rescued!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Artemus
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Reassembled but still need a bit more BLO rubbed in.   For me, the Larry Price forearm was a good fit and grain match.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Here is a picture of the rifle that Stretch32 restored. He was shooting it at Camp Perry last week. Notice he is using the M-1907 leather sling with full tension on the barrel band and stock joint. The rifle and the shooter did just fine.

Cat Man (The big yellow machine kind)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 3:24am
Print Post  
The dreaded 'left-handed' disease!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:09am
Print Post  
NICE job of matching - both color AND sheen.

IP Logged

Artemus
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I'm a lefty as well!

Cat Man wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:08am:
Here is a picture of the rifle that Stretch32 restored. He was shooting it at Camp Perry last week. Notice he is using the M-1907 leather sling with full tension on the barrel band and stock joint. The rifle and the shooter did just fine.

Cat Man (The big yellow machine kind)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
My son is also a South-paw.  Watching him work the bolt is magical when he's shooting the Krag... but down right mesmerising when he's shooting the Arisaka!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I write and eat left-handed, but, shoot like a normal person. I guess I'm ambidextrous.

Years ago, I shot right-handed on a 'North-South Skirmish Association', eight man, Civil War team. Five of the eight guys were left-handed shooters. Photographs of us shooting our 'rifled-muskets' on the Firing-Line were pretty funny. It looked like "F. Troop".

During the American Bi-Centennial, I was in a British Loyalist reenactment group. You had to be 'right minded', when doing 18th Century Drill and Evolutions!

Artemus did a beautiful job on his Krag Stock Restoration. 'Stretch32' looks to be a most competent Shooter.

I have no intent to hijack this thread. The picture of 'Stretch32' just points out how the World can be unfriendly to guys with 'Paws".

(Ever heard of a "North Paw")?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Still off the thread's subject, but photo by Catman, is the bolt not closed? It looks high to me.
I have a Savage rifle with a 3 lug bolt, on this rifle it is easy to catch the bolt and lift it part way when carrying it for a while. I get misfires when that happens, I think the firing pin hits the opening cam and partially closes the bolt but slows the firing pin down enough that it does not strike the primer hard enough to fire. Seems like it could cause hang fires also.      Maybe I am not seeing it correctly or I worry to much.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:54am
Print Post  
You guys sure have sharp eyes! Greg was in the "three minute preparation period" prior to shooting the next prone stage. He was moving and adjusting his position and yes the bolt was open during that time. I was scoring the shooter next to him so I made use of the time to hop like a bunny and get some quick photos.

I have seen some very good left had bolt gun match shooters over the years.

A friend many years ago got a great deal on orphan left hand Remington action and built a magnum long range match rifle. We used to share it in the NRA long range matches. You want to see some really strange looks, try shooting a left hand gun right handed!

CAT Man (The big yellow machine kind)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Speaking of left handers... there's a guy that I shoot with on a regular basis in the local matches at KRGC.  He was the first guy to buy a charger from me.  He regularly shoots 290 and up with his 1896 Krag... AND wins matches over 1903A3s and Garands!  I have personally witnessed him shoot a 294-8X... and he did it in back-to-back matches (two Saturdays in a row)!  The charger made all the difference because before, he never got all ten off in the rapid.

I wish he had come to the Roosevelt this year.  Maybe I can talk him into joining us next year.

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:40am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:42pm:
'Stretch32' looks to be a most competent Shooter.

I promise I'm not. Catman is an excellent photographer and coach. He can make anybody look good or like they know what they're actually doing.

Big thanks to my partner that day too for the shooting gear so I could suck somewhat less. 

Stretch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint