Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Re: Mills Cartridge Belts (Read 10937 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Mills Cartridge Belts
Dec 31st, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Is this close to what your are looking for? Look at the last picture for this belt.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Hello.

I have seen this belt on Ebay. What I would like is a SINGLE ROW Mills belt. This is a double row. Either Kachi or Blue.

WHat I was asking is if the 30-40 cartridge fits into the 45-70 loops.

Thanks

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Have you tried S&S Firearms?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Ebay usually has an assortment of original/reproduction Mills Cartridge Belts.

However, seems like very few reproductions are being listed at this time.

Try Googling "Reproduction Mills Cartridge Belt" and see what you come up with.

Here's a site that I Googled:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Gee....30 caliber is 0.30 inch compared to .45 caliber which is 0.45 inch. The belts are fabric and have some stretch to them but give math some credit.

Keep looking for what you want in the 30-40 Krag caliber. Probably will suit you fine.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:34am
Print Post  
I have pondered this.  I looked at the specs for the 45-70 and the 30-40.  Let's say both belts are designed for a snug but not tight fight for the respective cases and the rims are used to prevent the cases from falling through the loops. The base diameter for the 45-70 is .505 inch.  The Krag round is base diameter is .457 inch and the rim diameter is .545 inch.

So I am thinking the Krag round will be loosy-goosy in the belt loops but will not slip through the bottom of the loop.  It may pop out of the tops though.

This is all a guess.  It could be there is enough friction to hold the cases in place regardless of activity such as shooting from a trench and a mad dash over shell craters against Spanish machine guns.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I agree with Culpeper and looked at the same dimensions. It is too close to call without actually trying it. But if you buy one you can post the results and then we will all know.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 8:50am
Print Post  
If you are flexible about manufacturer, you might want to look for belts made by Spalding and Hurlburt.  Both made a model or two for the Krag.  They usually had sewn-on loops instead of the Mills, woven type, but they are usually a bit cheaper than Mills and, although they usually seem to be for 45-70, you might find one for the 30 cal.  I have a Spalding with the sewn on loops that I used for 30-40 and they seem to fit pretty well.  I think both brands have horizontal, blue or brown threads in the belt (but not the sewn on loops).  John Spangler at old guns.net currently has a couple of Hurlburts listed.  John is listed as a founding member here and is a great person to do business with.  If you ask nice, he might even answer whatever questions you have.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Jason60chev wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 10:03am:
No $hit, Sherlock....but the cartridge CASE on the 30-40 is LARGER tan .30....give the math some credit.

Can;t anyone just answer my question without a bunch of disparaging and "Gee, what a stupid question" comments?.......

How loose or how snug will the 30-40 cartridge fit into the 45-70 loops.

If I were at home and had access, I'd do it myself.

Whig wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:15pm:
Gee....30 caliber is 0.30 inch compared to .45 caliber which is 0.45 inch. The belts are fabric and have some stretch to them but give math some credit.

Keep looking for what you want in the 30-40 Krag caliber. Probably will suit you fine.

Probably not the best way to get your intended response
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I think, really, if you just want the belt for filling with ammo and having it for display, it should be fine. The rims on the 30-40 Krag ammo will probably keep them from slipping out of the belt loops just fine if you stick them in the 45-70 belt. They would certainly be easier to remove from the 45-70 belt loops, also. You might have a little trouble if you plan to actually use the belt and you are carrying them and running or moving around a lot. I doubt you would be flipping or jumping enough to lose rounds, though. My 30-40 Krag belts all have tight loops that haven't held ammo for decades, probably. They all have vintage 30-40 ammo in them because that's what I want them for-display.

So, it would work the way you are inquiring. The belts are made ammo-specific. That's my point. I am a purist, though, and don't like using reproduction stuff for my military collection or incorrect stuff. I have paid a little more and searched a little longer for correct items to go with my Krags. That's the beauty of collecting military firearms and accoutrements- you can buy what you want and do what you want with it.

Get the 45-70 if you can't find what you want in the official Krag arena. It will work fine and they will look great with your Krags!.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Appears I should have never responded to this post since I am not an expert on this subject, but now that I have.........

It also appears that the only person(s) that could actually respond to the original post is somebody that has 45-70 cartridge belts that the experiment could be tested upon. I do not have such a belt. That leaves only guess work on my part, which is the reason why I need not have responded. But most of us here truly want to help. I believe there are some good answers above to the best of our collective knowledge. Some more answers may still be given.

And 45-70 cartridge belts may not be a perfect fit, but without knowing the specific intended purpose a perfect answer may not be given unless by accident.

Is it for display? Is authenticity an issue? Will it be used for re-enactments? Will it be used for hunting purposes? Will it be used on horseback?

If the original poster wants to come back to this topic and let us know if he got his answer that would be great. Or if he would give an intent for use, that would be fine, also.

As for me, I really have nothing else to offer. But I apology for any misunderstanding or disrespect on my part.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Appreciated. I guess I didn't consider a specific use germain to the question.

I do not wish to get bogged down with gear that I will never have space to display and, really, no one to show it to.

I did Civil War may years ago and got out of it. I did Cowboy action shooting 20 years ago and got out of it. My 1st love is the M1903 Springfield rifle and I have WAY too much original gear for it. Most of it just sits in boxes. I will often dress the part (Uniform and gear) for a vintage match, but those are infrequent, anymore.

Ever time I get a new military arm, it seems I feel the need to acquires gear to go with it.

Will probably use the belt only for a vintage match, range use or wearing at a gun show.

I wish an original single row

[quote author=73564D4C5D380 link=1546269858/10#10 date=1546347308]Appears I should have never responded to this post since I am not an expert on this subject, but now that I have.........

It also appears that the only person(s) that could actually respond to the original post is somebody that has 45-70 cartridge belts that the experiment could be tested upon. I do not have such a belt. That leaves only guess work on my part, which is the reason why I need not have responded. But most of us here truly want to help. I believe there are some good answers above to the best of our collective knowledge. Some more answers may still be given.

And 45-70 cartridge belts may not be a perfect fit, but without knowing the specific intended purpose a perfect answer may not be given unless by accident.

Is it for display? Is authenticity an issue? Will it be used for re-enactments? Will it be used for hunting purposes? Will it be used on horseback?

If the original poster wants to come back to this topic and let us know if he got his answer that would be great. Or if he would give an intent for use, that would be fine, also.

As for me, I really have nothing else to offer. But I apology for any misunderstanding or disrespect on my part.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I completely understand the purist attitude. I am, to a large extent, myself.

As I replied to another poster, who asked how I might use the belt, I didn;t think that was necessary for the question, I was just asking, because I want to know. I work overseas and do not have access to to anything other than internet.

To answer that....I would rather have good original gear that I can perhaps wear.....as a "living" display. I do that with my M1903 gear, often firing a match in period uniform and gear or goign to a militaria gun show decked out in rifle and gear. I get a kick out of it. High power and vintage matches are the only shooting activities that I do, anymore, other than having fun at the range. I do not hunt. I do not have any place to display things and no one to show them to. So, all of my gear ends up in boxes in the back bedroom.  I recently assembled a retro Vietnam era Ar-15 carbine and felt the need to assemble a set of gear!!!!  Go figure.

I want a single row because I cannot imagine filling up an entire 100 round cartridge belt for a match, event, casual shooting....even for a walking display at a gun show. I will also be using a revolver holster and maybe a Dyer box (Those will be repro).  That is why i asked the question. I just don;t want to get bogged down with gear that will never be seen or little used. It gets too expensive and there is really no reward. I have already sold some good, original WWI/WWII gear for that reason.

But Now i have a Krag long rifle, a short rifle, a complte barreled receiver and a stripped receiver and parts for projects.  I find the gear fascinating, historic and enjoy reading and studying about it. But for these Krags, I really just want one belt/set of gear.

I hope everyone now better understands the reason for the question.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
A saber would go well with your fine display. I have a pretty nice 1906 Ames saber, with mounted belts for the M1903, that I will often wear at gunshows. Would like to use it with a Krag Mills belt, too.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Well, you are certainly into it bigger than myself. I have never gone to matches or have actually been able to talk face to face to others with the bit of passion I have now acquired in the Krag world. The history of the Krag is clearly somewhat ignored, but important, leaving it a more personal endeavor to explore. And this is a good place to explore it. Happy trails to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint