Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 How to restore the stock finish or look ? (Read 9700 times)
fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Re: How to restore the stock finish or look ?
Reply #15 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Respectfully, I do appreciate the tip on boiled linseed oil. I have used that on many milsurp rifles. But that last post does not look like the red stain and overall look of an unmolested and uncleaned Krag.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
In the late 1920's, Springfield Armory stopped using Logwood Stain, in an economy move. This changed the appearance of the wood on U.S. Military Arms.

Possibly, 'AFJuvat' has a later 1903 Springfield stock in his photo.

FWIW - I had luck getting a good color match with a new walnut forearm that I spliced to a 'cut-down' original Krag stock.

I put a dark walnut stain on the raw walnut wood and quickly followed that with a "Rosewood" stain. It approximated the original wood color.
(Getting the same finish 'sheen', as the original wood, is trickier and a different issue).

I do not know if your original stock can take a 'stain' at this point. There may be 'oils' in the wood that would inhibit the stock from accepting a stain.

Your call. You can test with some stain in a hidden area like the barrel channel.

Attached: 'Before' and 'After' Staining a replacement forearm.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I do not know if your original stock can take a 'stain' at this point. There may be 'oils' in the wood that would inhibit the stock from accepting a stain.

I never though of that.

I did not buy the gun yet.  I may wait for a better example. If it does not look right, I will never be happy with it. 

Nice work on that spliced wood!

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
If you have found a decent rifle but it just doesn't have that reddish hue I would be hesitant to walk away, good rifles are hard to find at reasonable prices with good mechanics.
Heres some pics of a shooter with plenty of dirt and oil way deep in the stock,

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

patched up scraped and washed out some,

put back together,

and getting checked out,

It seems to have a little red from just having some flax seed oil rubbed into it maybe it will get darker with use and time or it was made a little too clean before getting re-oiled, not sure.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 6:06pm:
In the late 1920's, Springfield Armory stopped using Logwood Stain, in an economy move. This changed the appearance of the wood on U.S. Military Arms.

Possibly, 'AFJuvat' has a later 1903 Springfield stock in his photo.

*Edited for brevity.

My 1903 is a RIA SN#40181X.  It was finished at Springfield Armory in 1928, so it is likely post logwood.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
for the record, and at the risk of repeating myself, the finish on the Krag stocks was more than a dunk in linseed oil. It is covered on page 139 or 143 in Joe Farmers book, IIRC.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Mark_Daiute wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
for the record, and at the risk of repeating myself, the finish on the Krag stocks was more than a dunk in linseed oil. It is covered on page 139 or 143 in Joe Farmers book, IIRC.

I dont have that book.  Could you repeat one more time for my benefit.  And a color match for the stain (logwood?)?

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
I have found Analine "walnut" die to be a perfect match with the exception of one rifle that has an Italian Walnut stock. I messed that one up and as a result it will probably be with me till I cash in my chips.

Don't let 5's glib manner fool you, the book is invaluable if you have the least interest in Krags. Joe can be frank and direct but what he does not know about Krags is not yet known and that's a fact.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Mark_Daiute wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 2:00pm:
I have found Analine "walnut" die to be a perfect match with the exception of one rifle that has an Italian Walnut stock. I messed that one up and as a result it will probably be with me till I cash in my chips.

Don't let 5's glib manner fool you, the book is invaluable if you have the least interest in Krags. Joe can be frank and direct but what he does not know about Krags is not yet known and that's a fact.

I googled that die.  I would have thought the "dark wine cherry" or mix with walnut and cherry.  But; if I get the gun I can experiment.  I guess? Then your result with Italian wood is scary.  How to id that wood? Is there a serial number range for the Italian wood?

I found another candidate Krag to purchase. Much better look. Better metal and barrel. More cost. A model 1896 with corresponding fixed windage sights. But oddly, the cartouche is not readable. How did the cartouche get worn down and the gun retained the look? It may look better for the age and use.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:06am
Print Post  
'fourbore' - Springfield Armory used approximately 30,000 Italian walnut stock blanks, due to a shortage of cured American black walnut blanks.

From my experience, the Italian wood will usually have 1899, 1900, or 1901 cartouche dates.

The Italian wood is often easy to spot because of its light 'golden' color and distinctive wood grain.

Sometimes, the Italian stocks were darkened with stain, to better match the darker American walnut stocks in a military unit.

In regard to faint cartouche stamps, this may be an indication a stock was skillfully 'scraped' during Armory rifle rebuild/refurbish work.

Attached photos of Italian wood showing:
color, grain, 'tiger stripe' and a distinctive 'crescent' pattern, that is often seen.
Last pictures show an Italian stock with an American walnut hand-guard; this stock has a pronounced 'tiger stripe' and was darkened with stain, long ago.

(p.s. - Mark_Duaite has done some very nice Krag stock restorations. Possibly, his Italian stock 'stain problem' was a forearm-splice using a different walnut species)?
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:31am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Is it fair to say we are replacing 100 years of old gun oil with a stain?  That maybe why the petroleum based suggestions I got locally for Mystery Oil or Liquid Gold?  Not to preserve the wood but replicate the abuse of the past?  Not saying, just suggesting...

Italian wood, as an example:

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Butlers is correct, first, it was a different species of wood, second I was not paying attention to colors. I could have pulled it off had I been paying more attention and been less cocky.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:54am
Print Post  
It seems restoration of this nature is more an art than science gained from years of trial and error. I am trying to short cut that process and suspect that is not a reasonable expectation.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
fourbore wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:54am:
It seems restoration of this nature is more an art than science gained from years of trial and error. I am trying to short cut that process and suspect that is not a reasonable expectation.

It's not that hard, just use patience and knowledge and friends with skills.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:48am
Print Post  
'fourbore' - The picture you have 'marked' is an Italian walnut stock that appears to have been stained (and maybe varnished or shellacked) at one time.

This was done to some of the Italian stocks (locally, on a company level, I believe) to make them better 'match' the other Krags in the unit.

To me, it appears the added 'finish' has been stripped-off to restore the original appearance of the lighter Italian walnut. The dark area, you have outlined, shows some 'residual stain and sealant'. (I don't believe this wood to be 'oil soaked').

FWIW - I don't think Springfield Armory 'stained' the Italian walnut stocks. It is possible this was done locally by Military Units, after the 'accepted arm' left Springfield Armory.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:06pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint