Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Accidental discharge! (Read 7753 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Accidental discharge!
Reply #45 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
OK here is one more I just found while organizing photos, This trigger was completely broken while attempting to disassemble it. It is completely possible to partially break a trigger. If you have a wonky trigger look for partial breaks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #46 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Wow, That is different!

It looks like someone had a mishap and used misdirected force in trying to remove or replace trigger-pin, that holds trigger and sear together.

.... Or possibly tried to compress 'flanges' on trigger to eliminate side-play of sear?

Crazy Bubba!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #47 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Just to add a bit of levity to Fred's experience...

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #48 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Feb 5th, 2020 at 5:02pm:
Wow, That is different!

It looks like someone had a mishap and used misdirected force in trying to remove or replace trigger-pin, that holds trigger and sear together.

.... Or possibly tried to compress 'flanges' on trigger to eliminate side-play of sear?

Crazy Bubba!

AH, BR that was me! 45 years ago there was no internet or KCA for looking stuff up. You mentioned a couple of years ago the trigger pin was tapered. The light bulb went on then as to why would that ear break off like that when pushing the pin out.
With the trigger detail just included in this thread we can now know the small side was upset by SA. With a trigger assembly in hand you measure both sides and you think it is a straight pin that can be tapped or pressed out from either side. 50/50 chance of getting it wrong unless you look it up on the KCA.
Today if one had a trigger assembly than needed to be disassembled one could file off the mushroomed left side and push it to the right. When reassembling if the pin was too short Grandpa's has new ones.
The case hardening on those ears went all the way thru so they are brittle and break easily. My point was with almost 500,000 units out there are at least a few that could be acting up because of a partial break. The only source for used gun parts that I knew of back then sent me that junk trigger as a replacement. Others may have done a brazing repair or some other improvised fix.

Knowing what I do today the only reason to disassemble one would be if it is full of polishing compound from some one that blued it.
Do I need to change my screen name to Crazy Bubba?Smiley

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #49 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
On the subject of not breaking good triggers, the attached photo was made a couple of days ago to illustrate another idea if one needs to be disassembled. Take up the slack between the sear and the inside of the trigger with a feeler gauge. Greasing it before doing this may help in getting it out if it tightens up after the pin is removed. Using a small or miniature arbor press would be better than tapping it out with a punch or drift.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #50 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I'd like to interject a comment here that I think is appropriate for some people reading these posts about the potential difficulties that could be experienced in working with Krags and the accidental discharge that Fred had.

I have dis-assembled dozens of Krags, removing triggers, sears, cleaning crud out, replacing springs, switching parts with other Krags, etc. I have never, not once, faced any of these unusual problems where the trigger group failed to fire or mis-fired or hung up unusually. I have always been able to dis-assemble these parts, al-be-it carefully, and never have had anything break. Once I had a magazine pin bend but I worked with it to get it to slide out with the help of a mallet and piece of wood where it did not break and could be reused.

So, don't be discouraged by the complexities at what you are reading here. The detail that has been exposed is simply an exercise at deep insight for analyzing one issue. These Krags are not difficult to work with. Just go slow and don't force anything and, if there are any questions, ask and people here will help deal with them.

Enough said. Sometimes it can get scary if you go too deep into problems.

Thanks, Fred!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #51 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I agree with 'Whig'. U.S. Krags generally come apart easily for me without destruction of parts.

If a pin is stubborn, apply penetrating oil, brush exposed surfaces with a toothbrush, and try driving the pin from the other direction. (Maybe it got reassembled incorrectly at some point of time).

I use steel & brass punches, a plastic or copper mallet, and support the parts on hardwood or a bronze plate.

It should not take excessive force. Getting a pin or screw to start moving is half the job.

p.s. - FredC, you are not "Bubba" and confession grants absolution.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #52 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
ARRRG! Found the source of all the problems. I was just reassembling the sporter. All the parts were in a tool box/work bench that has been the project bench for all these years. What do I find in the drawer, see the photo, I think that was the spring that was supposed to have gone with the sporter. At the beginning of this thread I said that there was an original spring in this sporter. Evidentially the original spring is in the labeled bag! I looked at posts over at Practical Machinist, I started this project years ago(2013). The spring was in a bag in plain sight in the drawer. Years later when I finally finished this thing I picked up a random spring (Maybe on this box) and it went in the hole being anxious to finish I did not search the drawer for the right spring.
ARRGGH!!! All the pain!
Newly purchased barreled receiver and other Krag odds and ends are now in the drawer. The spring from Whigs receiver has just been installed in the sporter, the problem spring is next to the envelope, only explanation is I picked up the wrong one while the right one was right there. It is getting hard to remember what I did yesterday much less what I did 2 years ago.
ARRGH!

p.s. - FredC, you are not "Bubba" and confession grants absolution.
Thanks, BR.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #53 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
No accusations, Fred...Just popped into my head:

DEMENTIA - a collective term used to describe various symptoms of cognitive decline, such as forgetfulness. It is a symptom of several underlying diseases and brain disorders. Dementia is not a single disease in itself, but a general term to describe symptoms of impairment in memory, communication, and thinking. Cheesy

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #54 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I think it's caused by silly life stuff and survival getting in the way of tinkering with Krags, Hunting and Shooting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint