Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 What have I got. (Read 5025 times)
Caribou
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What have I got.
Reply #30 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info butlersrangers.  Many people think that they can add all sorts of goodies to a gun ad it becomes more valuable.  I am not one of those people.  I have sold a very few guns and was lucky to make a profit on one of them.  When I make changes to a firearm it is for me or for the gun.  I'll look at a gun that has performed honourably for decades and pay it back with necessary part.  I'm not in the gun business.  If I can find an original stock, that is consistent with this rifle then I'd do that.  I'm not knowledgable enough to put the perfect stock so I'll put an old sporterised stock on or buy a new stock for it.  I'm also not spending twice as much for the perfect stock when I don't know what that is.  Getting the gun shooting again does it the honour it is due.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
A good cut-down Krag stock is a lot cheaper and easier to come by than a good full-length stock.

This remedy has the benefit that it allows you to get a Krag into action, while exploring other options.

Many a Krag owner has accumulated parts and attached a new forearm, on a cut-down stock, by splicing under the barrel-band. 

IP Logged

Caribou
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 3:16am
Print Post  
For $250 I can get a new, unfinished, stock that appears to be about the length of  the one pictured above.  Since it's not an original stock I'm guessing that is fine.  I have the barrel band  but I'll still need a butt plate.  I'll probably go with a recoil pad as the stock will never be original.

That's a neat trick about splicing it under the barrel band.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint