Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 The Most Valuable Krags (Read 5421 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: The Most Valuable Krags
Reply #15 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Now you know I did but I am too shy and unassuming and innocent to blow my my own horn.  It was #112.  Of course I am not one to settle for a three digit Krag.  No.  So the first chance I got to buy a two digit Krag I jumped at it.  The price was right too.

Did I say modest?  I'm modest also.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Here is the likely 'Daddy' rifle - Test rifle #5.

Also, one of the 'Cataract-Tool' scoped Krags.

Fortunately, some of the best/priceless Krag stuff is at Springfield or Rock Island and belongs to all of us!
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2020 at 10:41pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
One of the Kaiser's Mauser "Hunting" rifles was liberated by an American G.I., during WW-2.

Maybe his Krag had a similar fate? (Hopefully it didn't go to Russia).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Apr 20th, 2020 at 3:12pm:
Now you know I did but I am too shy and unassuming and innocent to blow my my own horn.  It was #112.  Of course I am not one to settle for a three digit Krag.  No.  So the first chance I got to buy a two digit Krag I jumped at it.  The price was right too.

Did I say modest?  I'm modest also.

That's right...  I knew it was a low number... but I forgot how low!  I think I remember the number of the lower number too... but I won't say out of respect for your modesty!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Krag #71 is pretty cool. It screams to have its cut-down stock 'stretched'.

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2020 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Besides Clyde's rifle the other two Krags are interesting.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2020 at 2:00pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 21st, 2020 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
It would be interesting to have the first and last one built. Looks like #1 may have been destroyed. What about the last one?
I bought an engine from a dealer/rebuilder for the large John Deere tractor I have. The fellow that delivered it said the seller actually has the first and last 6030s built. Supposed to be a legendary tractor in John Deere's history but they just sell for what they can do as a tractor. One I tracked locally went to a rebuilder in Germany that buys them to fix up and sell as working units. He paid $6000.00 and expected to get $45,000 when completed.
Is the Krag with highest number of the last one built even known? Maybe the  were numbered receivers with higher numbers that did not get finished and were sold for parts?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2020 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
It would be interesting to have the first and last one built. Looks like #1 may have been destroyed. What about the last one?
I bought an engine from a dealer/rebuilder for the large John Deere tractor I have. The fellow that delivered it said the seller actually has the first and last 6030s built. Supposed to be a legendary tractor in John Deere's history but they just sell for what they can do as a tractor. One I tracked locally went to a rebuilder in Germany that buys them to fix up and sell as working units. He paid $6000.00 and expected to get $45,000 when completed.
Is the Krag with highest number of the last one built even known? Maybe there  were numbered receivers with higher numbers that did not get finished and were sold for parts?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - May 21st, 2020 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Fred, we have thrown that one around for a while. I don't think anyone can state for certain what the "last" Krag was  that was built. Springfield Armory continued piecing these things together long after the official "Stop" date for production because they had lots of extra parts in the parts bins and fixed and updated Krags for years.

My highest Krag number is 482709 but I have seen a few higher.  Mallory's 1st edition lists the highest observed Krag serial number as 489840.

Without searching through my other references, I do believe there have still been some higher numbers seen since this listing in Mallory 1st edition.  Mook lists number 505999 as having been manufactured November 1903. I don't know his reference for this.

Maybe we should all chime in with high numbers known.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2020 at 4:51am
Print Post  
That may have been 305999 due to a heavy hammer strike on the stamp or a damaged stamp.  You would expect to see rifles in the 490k, and 500 to 504k serial number ranges if 505999 was part of the production run of Krags.

We are not seeing those numbers though we do see multiple krags in the 460 to low 487s that support the 489 cutoff.

Like you said we do not know his source nor do we have the rifle or a picture of the rifle's receiver to be certain. 

Of course, it could be a case of a leftover receiver that was hand stamped and built up.  However I am thinking not likely.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2020 at 3:08am by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - May 22nd, 2020 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Now that you mention it I seem to remember discussions of high numbers before. Assigning a super value because of a number is kind of pointless. If it was 490101 would 490100 be worth a whole lot less? So you pay $10,000 to get the last Krag and a couple of years later 490102 shows up. The last ones may have been using up parts that were not quite good enough for the regular production run but good enough someone did not have the heart to throw it away.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I think a "Last" numbered firearm, like a Krag, would be worth a premium if it was well documented what number was actually the last produced. We don't have those records for the Krag.

I think that the first 100 Krags would carry a premium, also, if they were in original configuration.

Really specific info on Garand:

According to Mr. Scott Duff's blue book on the post war M1 Garand, the last "official" M1 Garand came off of the Springfield Armory assembly line at 10:43 AM on 17, May 1957. Mr. Garand attended the ceremony. The serial number of this rifle was 6084405. It is now on display at the Springfield Armory museum. M1 Garand's with higher serial numbers than 6084405 do exist, however, they are rather rare, hard to find and very valuable. Many high 6-million serial numbered M1 Garands were built into National Match rifles using left over existing receivers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint