Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Brass lifespan (Read 10073 times)
Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Brass lifespan
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2012 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot for the replies and advice. I have never heard of annealing brass until this thread, I learn more about reloading every day. I've been shooting my Krag a lot since I got it (50rds per month give or take) because I'm still enamored with it; eventually that will peter out. I don't have a torch although I'm guessing I could use one of those handheld ones. How long will the brass last if I don't anneal it, because in the longterm I don't see myself shooting my Krag very often.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Marcus, I have been reloading for decades and I've never annealed yet.  I would venture to say that with careful reloading and relatively low pressures, your brass should last a very long time. 

That said, I am going to anneal all of my brass this weekend!  If I had known about this, I would have been annealing my brass all along...  An inexpensive butane or propane torch should be available at your local walmart.  I see it as a simple yet effective trick to preserve brass for decades to come.  Even if you don't plan to shoot much in the future, there may come a time when you will... and good brass might not be readily available.

I am truly grateful to Butlersrangers, Parashooter and kirk, and all of the other posters who have helped me to learn way more than I ever could have learned on my own!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Well, I cleaned, trimmed and annealed 250 cases today!  I used a case holder (for trimming), and chucked each case in my drill, and then slowly rotated to heat evenly.  As soon as the case neck changed color, I release and dropped them into a metal bowl to cool...  Worked like a charm!

I have been thinking on this, and for those of you who are quenching your cases, I think it's a mistake.  I'll explain:

Years ago, I worked for GM at the proving grounds.  I had the opportunity to machine parts, and I know a little about metallurgy.  When you anneal steel or any other metal (except aluminum), the object is to make the metal pliable, so that it is less brittle and susceptible to cracking.  A good example of this is a band saw blade - when welded, if the weld is not annealed, the weld will break.  In the machine shop... when annealing metal, the process is to heat metal slowly, and allow to air cool slowly.

Quenching, on the other hand, is normally how metal is hardened.  Bringing metal to glowing and then quickly quenching the metal in water, oil, or any other liquid will make the metal hard... and in the case of brass, (in my opinion) more brittle!

Of course, I'm no expert... especially when it comes to brass rifle cases, I can only speak from past experience working with metal.  I hope that this helps some people, or at least sparks some further discussions!

Paul

IP Logged

fullbore
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Hi Paul,

You are right about quenching for ferrous alloys.

Copper alloys, however, are more fully anealed by quenching from a higher temperature which preserves the larger grain growth.

Probably doesn't make much difference for our purposes, but not having any control over temperature, I heat enough for the neck to glow in a dimly lit room and then quench to reduce oxidation at such a high temperatures.

Oxide colours vary with the precise alloy (mostly zinc content) and takes some practice to read. However, it does reduce oxidation by heating to a lower temperature.

Cheers,

Rob

IP Logged

Michael Petrov
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
The quenching has to do with stopping the heat from migrating to the lower part of the case and nothing to do with annealing the brass.

I use a candle or a small alcohol one-wick burner.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo