Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
 25 Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members (Read 56263 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members
Reply #45 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I'll try to contact them today.  They offer .303 British... so there's no reason they couldn't offer 30-40 too.

IP Logged

Xhpmaster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #46 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Gentleman, don't despair - there is always hope....
Yesterday, I came across 260 factory loaded rds for $200.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #47 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Encouraging news!

I wrote to Colorado Custom Cartridges. LLC a couple days ago and received a nice letter from them:

Hi Paul,

Been many years since I shot at Perry. Good memories for sure. Your correct the brass for the Krag has all but dried up. There seems to be always a couple guys on gun broker that think the brass is gold and are skinning people. WE do not play that game. I can make krag brass from either .405 Win. It's dimensionally super close. Another caliber is the .303 British. It's is functional and depending on the chamber, may be useable a few time (reloaded) after fire forming. The .405 makes a great case BUT!! has several more steps to make it "correct". This means neck turning and correct sizing. Both calibers of brass are readily available.

We do load for several match shooters using a variety of calibers. Depending on the degree of accuracy you are in search of we can go either way as brass. Remington will "some day" run this again and there is rumors that an importer is making noise of making this caliber also. Are you shooting .308 or .309 diameter bullets? Another point of interest is that the .303 British reformed case is short! 2.215 in comparison to the Krags 2.3142 Having not shot this short case myself, reports are that they worked fine. I would choose to test some before ordering a quantity of ammo.

Let me know your thoughts. We are always up for a good challenge and "match ammunition" in this caliber is way over due.

Regards

It sounds like these are great people who understand the problem.  This might work out to be a great solution to our ammo issues.  I'll write back and ask for pricing on loaded ammo, and formed brass... and let you all know.

IP Logged

engineeringpunk
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #48 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Depending on pricing, I could be into a hundred or two rounds.

I like the .405win idea instead of the .303 british because of the OAL thing. I'd pay more money for a case that is the right length.

Are we asking them just about brass that we can buy and load ourselves or complete cartridges? Brass may be a better game since not everyone would be into just one bullet type/weight. On the other hand not everyone reloads.

Not sure where Xhpmaster found 260 factory rounds for $200, but I just paid $200 for 100 factory rounds....and I felt like I was doing at least halfway decent. Prices on GB are even crazier.

IP Logged

Xhpmaster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #49 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Hornady has been producing 405 Win for the pass few years.  I have a Ruger #1 in 405.  I found the 30-40 ammo in San Diego area. 
I contacted Winchester, Hornady, and Starline about making 30-40.  Hornady answered me saying to check their list of brass at the end of the week.  that list is what they plan to produce for 2017.  I haven't seen 30-40 on there yet.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #50 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I posted this on Culvers, but realize not all members here look there.  One way around this problem for reloaders is to stock up on PRVI .303 British blanks, before retailers realize what we're doing with them and jack up the price.  I don't get to shoot much anymore so 105 stashed away is plenty.  PRVI assured me that they use the same brass for these blanks that they do for loaded rounds.

Things are getting pretty crazy.  I see 50 new Winchester brass going for $116 on gunbroker.  Over $2 ea.  The blanks cost me .74 ea, and that includes shipping.  With Cuba opening up, I might need the blanks for a San Juan Hill reenactment.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016 at 6:58am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #51 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
It appears we've pulled enough chains that Remington will relent and produce some ammo!  Sportsman's Guide says they will have ammo around November 14th!  I'll be watching for the brass overage to hit Grafs and other suppliers, if there is any.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #52 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
That's awesome... but I do think we should continue to press Starline and others for an alternative brass source!

IP Logged

engineeringpunk
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #53 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
It appears as though MidwayUSA is expecting HSM .30-40 Krag 165gr RNFP on 11/11/16...

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #54 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
We might just want to look into this to be sure that they're safe for a Krag.  Being that they are from Cowboy Action, they may be intended for "Cowboy Action Shooting" in an 1895 Winchester Lever Action, which can handle pressures in excess of what a Krag can.  Now I realize that this is just an assumption... but I would rather make an incorrect assumption and be wrong, than to not make one at all and be sorry!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #55 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Cast bullet Paul, no way it's beyond Krag pressure levels.  At that price, I'd buy something jacketed before I'd even consider it.  Flatnose likely equals no feed.  In other developments:

I got some of the PRVI blanks I pictured earlier in this thread. The neck and shoulder are not annealed like their brass for loading. I can't just simply size them down with the bolt as I do the reloading brass. They have to be run into a 30-40 die with the expander ball removed. I adjusted my die slowly downward till the bolt would just close on my parked Krag, which I know has the tightest chamber of all my rifles. They'll even feed through my parked Krag, if I only load a couple in the magazine. Blowing out a few scheduled for tmrw.

Update:  I fired off a few of the blanks that I'd sized down to 30-40.  Some of the necks split following the crimp, one down enough that I won't be able to get a full length 30-40 case out of it.  Looks like disassembly is the best way to go, gotta find my tubing cutter!  I shot them along toward dusk, pretty good fire ball and report!  Fire ball had a blue color to it, the empty had that nice smell of high nitro powder.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2016 at 7:02pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #56 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Oct 30th, 2016 at 8:02pm:
Things are getting pretty crazy.  I see 50 new Winchester brass going for $116 on gunbroker.  Over $2 ea.  The blanks cost me .74 ea, and that includes shipping.  With Cuba opening up, I might need the blanks for a San Juan Hill reenactment.

Shooooot.  I need to dig out the the bottom of the "Pile" and get my winchester ammo.  Fully loaded, 2005vintage, Krag fodder.  Maybe I could get four bucks a round for it.  Just kiddin'  I could at most get three.

However I am on the road in M... Mi... Mic... Michi... Michigan (Go Buckeyes) visiting people and on the way here I found one box of Remington in a side of the road gun shop in Forsyth, Missouri.

Gotta look hard for it to find it.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #57 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I just picked up 35 rounds/brass of old Winchester from a guy for $10.00.  Not too bad for these days I guess.  I'm looking at it as brass only since some of them are old 180gr super speed and the others seem to be possibly someone's reloads...  9 of the reloads have been fired and the rest of the box is loaded. (They wrote on the box what they did: 47g IMR 4350/ 150gr Hornady Spire points but the un-fired ones look like virgin cases.  Not sure if they just bought the brass and loaded them up or if they are once fired already?)  I don't know anything about old Krag super speed 180's so I think I will just disassemble them and use the brass.

IP Logged

Prince Humperdink
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #58 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 5:33am
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 9:52pm:
Reformed .303 is ok to use... but the case will definitely be shorter, and won't have the proper head stamp (not a problem if you don't shoot .303... i.e. wrong round for the wrong gun).  I would just rather have the right stuff to begin with.

This is mostly all I use,and I just grind off the .303 head stamp.It's worked for 2 years now.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #59 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Following up on the blanks above, seems I got lucky with the tubing cutter on my first attempt.  It became too much work and a pain.  So now I'm running them up into a file trim die and cutting the tip off with a jeweler's saw.  I forgot I had that file trim die, didn't like it because it sets the shoulder back rounded, like a new case.  Since I have to anneal them anyway, that's ok for these.  The head is .168 thick on the one sample I measured, comparable to a few 30-40 cases I measured at around .170.  PRVI .303 for reloading measures the same as the blank.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint