Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 new to me Kraig 1894 saddle ring carbine (Read 5395 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: new to me Kraig 1894 saddle ring carbine
Reply #15 - May 7th, 2019 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
According to Mallory, the highest "1894" is 26116, but that is SUCH an outlier, that one has to at least suspect that there might have been a transposition somewhere. FWIW, I personally believe there was no overlap.

His lowest "1895" was 23820, so an "1894" at 23195 would seem to fit the pattern, AND be at least a potential candidate for highest "1894". Too bad it has been fooled with, but that has NOTHING to do with advancing the knowledge base.

Frank was a man of GREAT attention to detail, but also one who was reluctant to make arbitrary changes - witness his insistence on not revising the clearly erroneous 8xxxxx listing, carried in SRS until the end.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 7th, 2019 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
To Frank's defense, to a certain extent, there is a trickle of new evidence and information, such as OP's Krag SN 23195 clearly marked "1894", that adds to the database for all of what Frank researched and wrote about.

Joe Farmer is one who has added a lot to our knowledge of Krags.

That's the great thing about this forum- we keep learning new things about our Krags.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2019 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Don't worry, Frank needs NO defending from me - I counted him as a personal friend, and was VERY sorry when he passed. Actually met him at one of Graham Burnside's annual hog roasts in IL, and later visited him at his home in MD.

Joe Farmer has done a terrific job as well. It's no secret that I am not a fan of his writing STYLE, but his intellect, and his dogged thoroughness, are on a plane that VERY few will ever reach. I made my comments without looking at his book - which I have temporarily mislaid - so perhaps he has found something more on the 94/95 thing?

Apparently, my 37045 is still the marker for highest "1896" without "Model".

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint