Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Headspace on 1898 (Read 8863 times)
CHUCKW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Headspace on 1898
Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Gents, I really appreciate the attention given to my bolt headspace issue.  Here are some photos that may help.  A photo of the numbering on the old bolt (which looks like s18 with a "J"), the new bolt (looks like s17 and unidentified marking), the new bolt with the go gauge and the new bolt with the no-go gauge.  You can see that it is not close to closing with either and light pressure would not close the bolt.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I'm curious...it seems your 1898 receiver has been placed in a 1896 stock?

Is that correct or do you actually have an 1896 receiver?

Hard to tell from my little phone.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 12:28am
Print Post  
This is weird.

Will your new (stripped) bolt close on a loaded factory .30-40 cartridge?

A photo of your new bolt's recessed bolt-face and locking-lug might give clues.

Compare your two bolts. Something is drastically different.

Make sure your barrel breech-face is clean of all debris and gauge is fully seating.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Sep 27th, 2019 at 12:28am:
A photo of your new bolt's recessed bolt-face and locking-lug might give clues.

Compare your two bolts. Something is drastically different.

Make sure your barrel breech-face is clean of all debris and gauge is fully seating.

We are grasping at straws here, Butlersrangers's thoughts mirror mine. Make sure there is no debris in the receiver recess and no serious dings on the inside of the locking lug. A photo of the inside of the lug of both bolts could be helpful.
On the sporter I built a couple of years ago I wanted a minimum headspace gun, I did this by checking a box of unfired cases with a special set up to measure the rim thickness (the bevel on the back of the rim makes using a regular mike problematic).  Anyway in going through several hundred cases I found a couple that were .063, the SAAMI max is .064. Most of the new unfired Remington cases were .060 to .062.

The long and short of this as BR alluded to the new bolt may work fine as most cases will not be that near max.

If no discernible fix is found I could trade you for one of my measured NOS bolts. This may or may not fix things but it would give us more insight on Krags in general and more info on your particular circumstance.

IP Logged

CHUCKW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Local Boy wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 11:32pm:
I'm curious...it seems your 1898 receiver has been placed in a 1896 stock?

Is that correct or do you actually have an 1896 receiver?

Hard to tell from my little phone.

This is not an original gun.  I believe it to be a parts gun.  1898 receiver, carbine length barrel with a SN of 420xxx.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I seem to agree with FredC in that we're maybe grasping at straws.

Just checked my NOS bolt with the my set of Clymer headspace gauges and guess what...it wouldn't close using gentle pressure on the "GO" gauge.  To get it to close I had to exert a little more force.

The "NO-GO" gauge worked perfectly!

I cycled 20 rounds using the NOS bolt and experienced no feed or extraction issues.

Bullets used were Winchester Super-X 180 gr. Power Points and Remington 180 gr. Core-Lokts.

BTW: The NOS bolt replaced a bolt that had a large "S" on the bolt handle.  The old bolt would close on both Go and No Go gauges.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2019 at 9:19pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Maybe the "Go" gauge is overly large in diameter and not seating easily in the recessed bolt face of a NOS bolt? (Sharp edges hanging up in bolt-face flange).

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
You are correct BR...forgot to mention that.

The gauges are a tight fit and stick in the replacement NOS bolt and not with the older bolt.

Seating issues perhaps?

IP Logged

CHUCKW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
More info on this.  I have the field gauge and this is what I found;

The go and no-go gauges are Clymer.  The field gauge is Forster.

The old bolt will close on the go, no-go AND field gauge.
The NOS bolt will close only on the field gauge and NOT on the go or no-go.
I measured the rims of the gauges and found the go to be .063, the no-go is .0685 and the field to be .0685-.069.
Both old and NOS will close on live ammo.
I cannot see any difference in looking at the two bolts.  They look the same except for the markings I mentioned earlier.
All gauges fit within the recessed face of the bolt.

Now what?  It would seem that the field gauge should be larger?  I find it strange that the NOS will close only on the field gauge which is the same size as the no-go. Undecided

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
#1 Have you tried the gauges in the bolt head? Looking for diameter here.
#2 do all the gauges  have bevels on the back that resemble most Krag ammo? If so they will give a better indication of headspace but be harder to measure with a mike or calipers.  See the gauge arrangement in my last post. I used it to check Remington cases which have a generous bevel and can not be measured correctly with a regular mike. A universal mike with anvil set back could be used.

My computer is threatening to shut off to load an update.

#3 Did any of the gauges get stuck in the chamber and have to be pushed out? If so the chamber is tight in the inside or the gauges or oversize on the cylindrical portion.

#4 Did the inside of the bolt lug show excessive wear or possibly abrasive marks indicating it may have been lapped? It is against my religion to lap a bolt lug any more than to check contact area. The case hardening it the thickest on the bolt lug and that is where it is needed to resist wear. Any use of lapping compound for me has to be done when the barrel is off the receiver and the bolt and receiver must be THOROUGHLY cleaned before use. If someone lapped these in the past they would have increased the headspace immediately, and if not thoroughly the head space would keep increasing with use.

#5 Does the bolt guide touch the inside of the receiver? On a new rifle the gap would have been about .010. How about with the new bolt?

The other thing that I can think of that would drastically increase head space is headspace is the rifle was fired with an plugged barrel or bad reload.

#6 With the stripped NOS bolt with the field gauge installed does the bolt have for and aft play? This would be an indication of how much larger the rim space is over the field gauge.

Right now we do not know if you have a funky field gauge or a real problem. If it just barely closes on the field gauge it could be safe to use for a while. Go back to Parashooter's last post.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
IMHO - None of this makes any sense. It should be looked at by an experienced 'Krag Guy'.

If both bolts are closing on a 'Field' gauge, there is likely excessive free travel (head-space).

The side of the 'rims' on the OP's "Go" and "No Go" gauges are likely making contact with the bolt-flange interior and not allowing the rear of the gauge to make contact with the recessed bolt-face.

My Brain Hurts!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #26 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 5:58am
Print Post  
For a sanity check, measure the maximum rim diameters of your gauges. I suspect you may find the Clymer gauges are larger there than the Forster. If that's the case, it's likely the Clymers are running into something on the breech face that the Forster isn't. Could be crud or corrosion, or maybe someone reamed the face a bit, leaving a "step" that's keeping the gauges from giving a true reading.

If you can find an aluminum beverage can and cut a few shims that fit easily in the bolt face, you can learn how much end-play there actually is with a normal cartridge.  Most common drink cans go about .004". You should find one such shim allows the bolt to close easily on the cartridge. Two shims (.008") is still acceptable. Three (.012") isn't great, but unlikely to cause problems. Four shims (.016") indicates a moderately serious problem, though little danger of separation unless you repeatedly FL resize cases when handloading.

(This is likely more practical information than you're getting from the gauges - since it shows how much cartridge stretch you'll encounter when firing your ammunition.)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Parashooter wrote on Sep 29th, 2019 at 5:58am:
For a sanity check, measure the maximum rim diameters of your gauges. I suspect you may find the Clymer gauges are larger there than the Forster. If that's the case, it's likely the Clymers are running into something on the breech face that the Forster isn't. Could be crud or corrosion, or maybe someone reamed the face a bit, leaving a "step" that's keeping the gauges from giving a true reading.

If you can find an aluminum beverage can and cut a few shims that fit easily in the bolt face, you can learn how much end-play there actually is with a normal cartridge.  Most common drink cans go about .004". You should find one such shim allows the bolt to close easily on the cartridge. Two shims (.008") is still acceptable. Three (.012") isn't great, but unlikely to cause problems. Four shims (.016") indicates a moderately serious problem, though little danger of separation unless you repeatedly FL resize cases when handloading.

(This is likely more practical information than you're getting from the gauges - since it shows how much cartridge stretch you'll encounter when firing your ammunition.)

Parashooter, My mention of rim diameters in question #1 was the one I thought most likely. One other possibility is this is a parts rifle, if the bolt bore threads and chamber are all off center in opposite directions
the heads of the gauges may bind in the bolt end recess.

Also could you clarify the up to .016 clearance tested with shims , which gauge are you suggesting doing this with?

The other questions with possible causes are less likely and typed in no particular order as I was racing a computer reset.

BR's reference to using an experienced Krag gunsmith is good as not all gunsmiths are familiar with Krags.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Interesting problem. I haven't followed this 100% and do not have gauges myself to play with but one question comes to my inexperienced mind.

Has the barrel been changed and was it installed properly? Maybe it was screwed in a turn too far. I don't know if this would fit the problem but just thought I'd ask.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Sep 29th, 2019 at 2:08pm:
. . . could you clarify the up to .016 clearance tested with shims , which gauge are you suggesting doing this with?. . .

I am not suggesting shimming a gauge but rather a sample of the cartridges he intends to fire. The logic here is that the resultant measurement will indicate the actual amount of end-play that will be present on firing. Since it is this play that leads to case stretching and possible separation, knowing this detail is more practical than what we learn from a limited set of gauges.

Since the SAAMI spec for the .30-40 rim ranges from .054" to .064", knowing end-play with the specific cartridges we're planning to fire is really more important than the fit of standard gauges, at least to the individual firing those cartridges. (Gauge fit is, of course, important to folks fitting new barrels as well as those inspecting multiple rifles that will be fired with a variety of cartridges. It's just not as helpful when we get down to the individual level.)

In my experience with the .30-40 and cartridges of similar size, end-play/stretch less than .020" is unlikely to cause separation on initial firing with good, modern, new cases. The recommendation of caution at .016" reflects a conservative approach.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint