Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Headspace on 1898 (Read 8860 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Headspace on 1898
Reply #45 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I'm late to the party on this but I have never checked headspace on my Krags.  I clean the barrel first then I put a cartridge in the rifle, stick the muzzle through a hole in the floor of the old shed and pull the trigger.  From there I just check the case for problems and move on.  I've shot the guns with nary a concern over the years.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #46 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I'm late to the party on this but I have never checked headspace on my Krags.  I clean the barrel first then I put a cartridge in the rifle, stick the muzzle through a hole in the floor of the old shed and pull the trigger.  From there I just check the case for problems and move on.  I've shot the guns with nary a concern over the years.

Add Mr. Culpeper's response to my own.

HAS ANYONE on the forum ever experienced headspace issues with a Krag who's chamber was not altered in some manner?

He shoots it through a hole in the floor, I put it in a tire, we both then examine the case.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #47 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Does anyone remember someone posting about a Krag that was splitting cases on reloads? He had solved the problem by wrapping dental floss ahead of the rim, when he fire formed his cases. This prevented the firing pin from driving the case deeper into the chamber. After fire forming he would only neck resize. Essentially he was shooting a cartridge that head spaced on the shoulder instead of the rim.
If I remember right this was more than 5 years ago.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #48 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Most attention among the .303 crowd is focused on neoprene O-rings. I prefer stuff that's already lying around the house. Dental floss sounds good but maybe tedious to wrap. I use heavy monofilament fishing line myself (never needed it on my Krag, though). Picture taken in 2007 -

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #49 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Although I've only been reading up to this point... thought I'd weigh in:  I've never had a headspace issue with any Krag.  Like others, I just fired em and never gave it a second thought (I'm older and wiser now... and do exhibit a smidgen of more sense these days however).   I've also never heard of others having headspace issues.  It's a little more problematic when the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder... but when the cartridge headspaces on the rim, it's usually not a issue.  Krags are plenty strong enough as long as you remain within the acceptable pressures (below 40,000 CUP).  One only needs to read Michael Petrov's test report to feel confident (he tested a Krag to destruction... and it took quite a lot to achieve said destruction!).

Parashooter, Butlersrangers, Mark Daiute, Culpeper, FredC, Dick Hosmer, Madsenshooter, etc. (the list goes on and on) are the true Krag experts here, and their advice is invaluable!  Take it at face value and heed their advice!!!

Oh... and happy Krag shooting always  Smiley

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #50 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
The important thing is do what you figure you need to do that will give you peace of mind with your Krag.

And then...

RANGE REPORT, BABY!  Let's see those paper targets.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint